Hazelwood Brewday

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Hazelwood Brewery

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had another little project yesterday.

You’ll know I’ve been monitoring temperature at various points in my temperature control system and one of the new data points is the exhaust air from my glycol chiller. I really don’t want this to exceed 35C and I measured it on the hottest day of the year so far - it peaked at 42C.

Yesterday’s project was to fit an uprated extractor fan. I already had one expecting to have to do this after moving to a bigger heat-exchanger/fan - like uprating the engine on your car, you then need uprated brakes, suspension, and maybe even need to stiffen the chassis.

The old fan shifted 85m3/hr, the new one shifts 1,000m3/hr. It has meant I’ve then had to build a new sound dampening box because the outlet is bigger and the whooshy exhaust noise needed a two-chamber sound-box. Talk about one job leading to another 👨‍🔧

Some pictures. The old fan, new fan, and new sound damper…

0D74CB31-CE9D-451A-BAD2-00C73AF562C0.jpeg
50A6233F-5CF2-4452-8D8F-1D9326A6F90D.jpeg

C02B4DA8-161F-40F5-AF66-17B99D115499.jpeg

Hazelwood Brewery

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve just kegged a cornie of Summer Breeze (2.1), a cornie of Best Bitter, and a cornie of Czech Pilsner. I have a stout ready to keg too but will leave that until tomorrow and enjoy a beer.

The temperature here is over 30 and the brew shed is struggling today, the temperature inside my brew-shed has crept up to just over 14C. The beer is still a nice temperature so I have no complaints there. I have though got a suspicion that my glycol chiller has a fault because I convinced myself yesterday that the coolant never fell below 0C. I’m beginning to think I’ve lost some refrigerant gas 🤔 I’ll be keeping an eye on that.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Be careful in your shed if you think you're losing refrigerant gas...its heavier than air,settles at ground level and is an asphixiant.

Hazelwood Brewery

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kegged my latest batch of stout this morning - yay!

I’m feeling a little better about stock levels having filled 3 cornies yesterday and another today.

No rest for the wicked though (or the thirsty) because I still have 2 empty kegs and 4 more nearly empty.

Hopsteep

Flat out like a lizard drinking
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kegged my latest batch of stout this morning - yay!

I’m feeling a little better about stock levels having filled 3 cornies yesterday and another today.

No rest for the wicked though (or the thirsty) because I still have 2 empty kegs and 4 more nearly empty.
The stuff of dreams! I wish my kegs were as abundant as yours! I’ve got 4 20L sankey kegs but in desperate need of more… I’ve been priming my other half with various hints that I need to buy two more 😂 I’ll probably go down the reconditioned corny route rather than new NDL kegs, about half the price 🍺

Hazelwood Brewery

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The stuff of dreams! I wish my kegs were as abundant as yours! I’ve got 4 20L sankey kegs but in desperate need of more… I’ve been priming my other half with various hints that I need to buy two more 😂 I’ll probably go down the reconditioned corny route rather than new NDL kegs, about half the price 🍺
Yeah, I also suffer from “no half measures” syndrome! 😂

Pennine

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Pennine,

Yes of course, links below...

Bitter

Pilsner

You’re right, it is getting a bit lengthy. Maybe it’s time to start another ;)
Crap I picked up the ingredients and promptly forgot the flaked barley, do you think torrified wheat or malted wheat would work in its place?

Hazelwood Brewery

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crap I picked up the ingredients and promptly forgot the flaked barley, do you think torrified wheat or malted wheat would work in its place?
You might get away with torrified wheat but maybe use 100g and make up the difference with a little extra MO?