Hazelwood Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps the problem is how the hops are stored....
I keep them handy to pick when I need them 😉

7C3172E4-5552-4F7A-903A-9726E7CE89F7.jpeg

I had another little project yesterday.

You’ll know I’ve been monitoring temperature at various points in my temperature control system and one of the new data points is the exhaust air from my glycol chiller. I really don’t want this to exceed 35C and I measured it on the hottest day of the year so far - it peaked at 42C.

Yesterday’s project was to fit an uprated extractor fan. I already had one expecting to have to do this after moving to a bigger heat-exchanger/fan - like uprating the engine on your car, you then need uprated brakes, suspension, and maybe even need to stiffen the chassis.

The old fan shifted 85m3/hr, the new one shifts 1,000m3/hr. It has meant I’ve then had to build a new sound dampening box because the outlet is bigger and the whooshy exhaust noise needed a two-chamber sound-box. Talk about one job leading to another 👨‍🔧

Some pictures. The old fan, new fan, and new sound damper…

0D74CB31-CE9D-451A-BAD2-00C73AF562C0.jpeg
50A6233F-5CF2-4452-8D8F-1D9326A6F90D.jpeg

C02B4DA8-161F-40F5-AF66-17B99D115499.jpeg

I’ve just kegged a cornie of Summer Breeze (2.1), a cornie of Best Bitter, and a cornie of Czech Pilsner. I have a stout ready to keg too but will leave that until tomorrow and enjoy a beer.

The temperature here is over 30 and the brew shed is struggling today, the temperature inside my brew-shed has crept up to just over 14C. The beer is still a nice temperature so I have no complaints there. I have though got a suspicion that my glycol chiller has a fault because I convinced myself yesterday that the coolant never fell below 0C. I’m beginning to think I’ve lost some refrigerant gas 🤔 I’ll be keeping an eye on that.

Kegged my latest batch of stout this morning - yay!

I’m feeling a little better about stock levels having filled 3 cornies yesterday and another today.

No rest for the wicked though (or the thirsty) because I still have 2 empty kegs and 4 more nearly empty.

The stuff of dreams! I wish my kegs were as abundant as yours! I’ve got 4 20L sankey kegs but in desperate need of more… I’ve been priming my other half with various hints that I need to buy two more 😂 I’ll probably go down the reconditioned corny route rather than new NDL kegs, about half the price 🍺

The stuff of dreams! I wish my kegs were as abundant as yours! I’ve got 4 20L sankey kegs but in desperate need of more… I’ve been priming my other half with various hints that I need to buy two more 😂 I’ll probably go down the reconditioned corny route rather than new NDL kegs, about half the price 🍺
Yeah, I also suffer from “no half measures” syndrome! 😂

Hi Pennine,

Yes of course, links below...

Bitter
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/media/c2bd409b-fca9-47a9-afc1-28c1cd70f487-jpeg.935/full
Pilsner
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/media/17b5b839-0964-48e5-a92f-c362315de2d0-jpeg.936/full
You’re right, it is getting a bit lengthy. Maybe it’s time to start another ;)
**** I picked up the ingredients and promptly forgot the flaked barley, do you think torrified wheat or malted wheat would work in its place?

I haven’t posted on my brew-day thread for a while (been away for a few days in Norfolk) but I’m collecting some RO water now for a brew tomorrow. I think I might start with another keg of English Bitter because I go through this quite quickly. I only have one keg too, the one on tap! Luckily I’ve only just started it but it won’t last long.

I think my Summer Breeze is very hoppy and flavoursome but it didn’t do so well in the monthly competition being not punchy enough in aroma and flavour (I do still have a niggling question about plastic bottles and my bottling process but I have to let that go - for now at least).

I’m in two minds about whether to accept that Summer Breeze just suits my taste regardless or try some changes to blow the hoppy nuts off it! Unfortunately, I kinda like the challenge so that’s pretty much sealed my fate.

I will continue to brew V2 because it’s my current favourite but I will also experiment with a “Next Generation”. If I have any success I’ll be sure to let you know of course. Time for some research…

I think my Summer Breeze is very hoppy and flavoursome but it didn’t do so well in the monthly competition being not punchy enough in aroma and flavour (I do still have a niggling question about plastic bottles and my bottling process but I have to let that go - for now at least).

I’m in two minds about whether to accept that Summer Breeze just suits my taste regardless or try some changes to blow the hoppy nuts off it! Unfortunately, I kinda like the challenge so that’s pretty much sealed my fate.

I will continue to brew V2 because it’s my current favourite but I will also experiment with a “Next Generation”. If I have any success I’ll be sure to let you know of course. Time for some research…
Personally I would stay clear of galaxy, it's a hard hop to get right. It certainly doesn't sit well on the hot side of things.

Back