Hazelwood Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps the problem is how the hops are stored....
I keep them handy to pick when I need them šŸ˜‰

7C3172E4-5552-4F7A-903A-9726E7CE89F7.jpeg

I had another little project yesterday.

Youā€™ll know Iā€™ve been monitoring temperature at various points in my temperature control system and one of the new data points is the exhaust air from my glycol chiller. I really donā€™t want this to exceed 35C and I measured it on the hottest day of the year so far - it peaked at 42C.

Yesterdayā€™s project was to fit an uprated extractor fan. I already had one expecting to have to do this after moving to a bigger heat-exchanger/fan - like uprating the engine on your car, you then need uprated brakes, suspension, and maybe even need to stiffen the chassis.

The old fan shifted 85m3/hr, the new one shifts 1,000m3/hr. It has meant Iā€™ve then had to build a new sound dampening box because the outlet is bigger and the whooshy exhaust noise needed a two-chamber sound-box. Talk about one job leading to another šŸ‘Øā€šŸ”§

Some pictures. The old fan, new fan, and new sound damperā€¦

0D74CB31-CE9D-451A-BAD2-00C73AF562C0.jpeg
50A6233F-5CF2-4452-8D8F-1D9326A6F90D.jpeg

C02B4DA8-161F-40F5-AF66-17B99D115499.jpeg

Iā€™ve just kegged a cornie of Summer Breeze (2.1), a cornie of Best Bitter, and a cornie of Czech Pilsner. I have a stout ready to keg too but will leave that until tomorrow and enjoy a beer.

The temperature here is over 30 and the brew shed is struggling today, the temperature inside my brew-shed has crept up to just over 14C. The beer is still a nice temperature so I have no complaints there. I have though got a suspicion that my glycol chiller has a fault because I convinced myself yesterday that the coolant never fell below 0C. Iā€™m beginning to think Iā€™ve lost some refrigerant gas šŸ¤” Iā€™ll be keeping an eye on that.

Kegged my latest batch of stout this morning - yay!

Iā€™m feeling a little better about stock levels having filled 3 cornies yesterday and another today.

No rest for the wicked though (or the thirsty) because I still have 2 empty kegs and 4 more nearly empty.

The stuff of dreams! I wish my kegs were as abundant as yours! Iā€™ve got 4 20L sankey kegs but in desperate need of moreā€¦ Iā€™ve been priming my other half with various hints that I need to buy two more šŸ˜‚ Iā€™ll probably go down the reconditioned corny route rather than new NDL kegs, about half the price šŸŗ

The stuff of dreams! I wish my kegs were as abundant as yours! Iā€™ve got 4 20L sankey kegs but in desperate need of moreā€¦ Iā€™ve been priming my other half with various hints that I need to buy two more šŸ˜‚ Iā€™ll probably go down the reconditioned corny route rather than new NDL kegs, about half the price šŸŗ
Yeah, I also suffer from ā€œno half measuresā€ syndrome! šŸ˜‚

Hi Pennine,

Yes of course, links below...

Bitter
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/media/c2bd409b-fca9-47a9-afc1-28c1cd70f487-jpeg.935/full
Pilsner
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/media/17b5b839-0964-48e5-a92f-c362315de2d0-jpeg.936/full
Youā€™re right, it is getting a bit lengthy. Maybe itā€™s time to start another ;)
**** I picked up the ingredients and promptly forgot the flaked barley, do you think torrified wheat or malted wheat would work in its place?

I havenā€™t posted on my brew-day thread for a while (been away for a few days in Norfolk) but Iā€™m collecting some RO water now for a brew tomorrow. I think I might start with another keg of English Bitter because I go through this quite quickly. I only have one keg too, the one on tap! Luckily Iā€™ve only just started it but it wonā€™t last long.

I think my Summer Breeze is very hoppy and flavoursome but it didnā€™t do so well in the monthly competition being not punchy enough in aroma and flavour (I do still have a niggling question about plastic bottles and my bottling process but I have to let that go - for now at least).

Iā€™m in two minds about whether to accept that Summer Breeze just suits my taste regardless or try some changes to blow the hoppy nuts off it! Unfortunately, I kinda like the challenge so thatā€™s pretty much sealed my fate.

I will continue to brew V2 because itā€™s my current favourite but I will also experiment with a ā€œNext Generationā€. If I have any success Iā€™ll be sure to let you know of course. Time for some researchā€¦

I think my Summer Breeze is very hoppy and flavoursome but it didnā€™t do so well in the monthly competition being not punchy enough in aroma and flavour (I do still have a niggling question about plastic bottles and my bottling process but I have to let that go - for now at least).

Iā€™m in two minds about whether to accept that Summer Breeze just suits my taste regardless or try some changes to blow the hoppy nuts off it! Unfortunately, I kinda like the challenge so thatā€™s pretty much sealed my fate.

I will continue to brew V2 because itā€™s my current favourite but I will also experiment with a ā€œNext Generationā€. If I have any success Iā€™ll be sure to let you know of course. Time for some researchā€¦
Personally I would stay clear of galaxy, it's a hard hop to get right. It certainly doesn't sit well on the hot side of things.

Latest posts

Back