Hazelwood Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last Thursday I had to brew a batch of Czech Pilsner rather than Summer Breeze as planned because my THBC order with the required hops had not arrived. The package arrived yesterday so today I am able to pick-up where I left off. Mash is well under-way, SG at 45 mins is 1056 so a few points lower than expected and the colour is darker than I would expect (this is more of that Vienna malt I have suspicions about).

61ADB27E-8B0C-42AD-9634-14DC6A5E5E04.jpeg

I'm sure I've read on the forum somewhere that a supplier had been known to mislabel repackaged malt...don't know who it was though.
I've put my brew day off til tomorrow as my back isn't well!

I'm sure I've read on the forum somewhere that a supplier had been known to mislabel repackaged malt...don't know who it was though.
I've put my brew day off til tomorrow as my back isn't well!

It does seem different but it could just be a darker version or from a different manufacturer (though it’s labelled as BestMalz). We’ll see what it tastes like when it’s ready.

I hope your back improves quickly, I know a bad back can be really miserable.

Tomorrow I’ll be kegging another batch of Summer Breeze in a corny keg so I will shortly give the keg and lines another clean in readiness.

For now I’m just sitting in the garden enjoying the sunshine, looking forward to the summer, and hoping that by then we’ll be able to have friends and family round. 🤗

3FB670DD-FE99-4D0C-A93B-24AE9A53077F.jpeg

This morning I have kegged Summer Breeze (with the suspect malt). FG is higher than it would normally be at 1012 rather than 1008. Together with the lower than expected OG, this beer will be 4.73% rather than my usual 5.25%.

It may be my imagination but the beer does appear slightly darker than usual although the smell and the taste at this point are not obviously wrong.

2C09D6E4-6CBE-4465-A279-81BC06B55422.jpeg

Not as pale as the pics of sb you have posted, maybe just the light though?

I don’t think it’s the light but the beer hasn’t properly cleared yet and it does lighten a little as it clears. As long as it still smells and tastes like Summer Breeze I can cope with it being lower alcohol and a slightly different shade.

Now it’s available again I’ve ordered a sack of BestMalz Vienna and will get another batch on when it arrives. This does mean I may have to neck the two batches made with the suspect malt! 😉

Yesterday I dry hopped another batch of Summer Breeze and tasted my Plum Porter and Russian Imperial.

The plum porter (pictured) is nice and is drinkable now at 4 weeks conditioned though I think it will improve further over the next month. The Russian Imperial is also improved and is now barely drinkable rather than horrible - this will need a lot longer.

0E9436C4-E98F-4F03-BAB6-3086F83A9025.jpeg

Today’s jobs will be to keg a batch of Czech Pilsner, prepare the water for tomorrow’s brew-day, and get a starter on for another batch of Belgian Tripel.

The Czech Pilsner, FG is 1004 as expected, good colour, now in a corny.

FE027639-2C70-438C-B90E-98AD372103A4.jpeg

Last edited:
Actually this is a good point for anyone wanting to try any of my recipes. My process is a simple BIAB process and achieves around 65% efficiency. If you’re using one of the more sophisticated brew systems you’re going to have to adjust down the grain by about 15% (or enjoy a higher strength beer).

I use the same system, my problem is if I want to use temp control. My 30 litre fermentor doesn't fit in my fridge. So it's the smaller 25 bucket fermentor I use for temp control.
So from your stats your getting 24 litres I can get 22 at a push if it's a lager and the fermentation behaves itself.

I have never worked out my efficiency. I just roll with what I get. I did mash yesterday for hours. I don't sit with my brew and baby sit it. So yesterday I mashed in at 5pm. Boil was at 9pm, cool over night. Pitch my starter today

I use the same system, my problem is if I want to use temp control. My 30 litre fermentor doesn't fit in my fridge. So it's the smaller 25 bucket fermentor I use for temp control.
So from your stats your getting 24 litres I can get 22 at a push if it's a lager and the fermentation behaves itself.

Ah! OK. Did you add more water or are you going to go for a higher strength?

Actually this is a good point for anyone wanting to try any of my recipes. My process is a simple BIAB process and achieves around 65% efficiency. If you’re using one of the more sophisticated brew systems you’re going to have to adjust down the grain by about 15% (or enjoy a higher strength beer).
You know that would explain why my attempt at Summer Breeze came out stronger than expected I scaled assuming 75% efficiency in your recipe to my own at 62% (still tasted great though).

I learned a new lesson today. In the past I’ve used dried malt extract to make the wort for my yeast starter. I don’t much like using it though because it’s quite expensive and I always manage to spill some - mucky stuff to clean up.

Making a small volume of wort on the hob is easy and I’ve loads of grain so this is what I now do. Last time I thought it might save a bit of effort if I made a larger batch and put some away for next time.

Today is “next time”. The plastic Jerry has blown out significantly and on opening it I smell vinegar. These Jerry cans have no oxygen barrier and I’m assuming that’s where I went wrong.

So guess what...

1A7960D4-55A8-43FC-ADB1-D42E829F18C6.jpeg

Latest posts

Back