Hazelwood Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks just about right. Cooling now.

1BD7F994-CE6C-47CD-89FC-07FE75784F06.jpeg

IMG_20210126_110754601.jpg
As you can see I don't have much head room let to be diluting it.
I pitched a good healthy starter which I made up during the week. Decanted and added 1.5 litres of the wort last night.
IMG_20210126_091359511.jpg

I learned a new lesson today. In the past I’ve used dried malt extract to make the wort for my yeast starter. I don’t much like using it though because it’s quite expensive and I always manage to spill some - mucky stuff to clean up.

Making a small volume of wort on the hob is easy and I’ve loads of grain so this is what I now do. Last time I thought it might save a bit of effort if I made a larger batch and put some away for next time.

Today is “next time”. The plastic Jerry has blown out significantly and on opening it I smell vinegar. These Jerry cans have no oxygen barrier and I’m assuming that’s where I went wrong.

So guess what...

View attachment 40239
Did you boil the wort before putting it into the Jerry can?

Did you boil the wort before putting it into the Jerry can?

Yes, I boiled it for about 40 minutes if I remember correctly and then put it in the jerry hot, made sure there was no air in the jerry including the hollow handle, and squeezed the jerry so the wort was overflowing as I screwed on the lid. Don’t think I could have done much more other than use a glass bottle of course!

Glass doesn't always work either!!
I normally keep back the last litre or so at the bottom of the boiler put it in a killner jar and fridge it so I can boil it for a starter next time.
2 brews ago I had a bit much for the killner so filled a flip top bottle as well, this had a fair bit of break material in it though.
Being Xmas there wasn't any room in the fridge for the bottle, not to worry I'll put it in later when there's room.
2 weeks later when making a starter I remembered it!
When I popped the lid it went everywhere, the ceiling, the walls the windows, the units, the new blinds, etc etc.
It didn't help that it had the break material in it.
Until that moment I didn't think it was possible to get 5 litres into a 500ml bottle!
In future it's going to be pet bottles in the freezer.

Attachments

• IMG-20210114-WA0003~2.jpg
    IMG-20210114-WA0003~2.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 43
Glass doesn't always work either!!
I normally keep back the last litre or so at the bottom of the boiler put it in a killner jar and fridge it so I can boil it for a starter next time.
2 brews ago I had a bit much for the killner so filled a flip top bottle as well, this had a fair bit of break material in it though.
Being Xmas there wasn't any room in the fridge for the bottle, not to worry I'll put it in later when there's room.
2 weeks later when making a starter I remembered it!
When I popped the lid it went everywhere, the ceiling, the walls the windows, the units, the new blinds, etc etc.
It didn't help that it had the break material in it.
Until that moment I didn't think it was possible to get 5 litres into a 500ml bottle!
In future it's going to be pet bottles in the freezer.

Mine also had some break, interesting.

Yes, I boiled it for about 40 minutes if I remember correctly and then put it in the jerry hot, made sure there was no air in the jerry including the hollow handle, and squeezed the jerry so the wort was overflowing as I screwed on the lid. Don’t think I could have done much more other than use a glass bottle of course!
Yeah surprising 🤷🏽

I now have a new batch of the Belgian Tripel in the fermenter. I made two changes with this batch.

1. Last time I used WLP500 but it is quite expensive so this time I’m trying M41 from Mangrove Jacks to see if the results are as good.

2. Because this beer will go in a corny keg I reduced my sparge water from 10 litres to 8 litres. I didn’t change the fermentables so this has lifted my OG a little and the ABV will consequently be a little higher, perhaps from 8.1% to 8.7%?

Ah! I shall watch with interest...I fancy a go at the Tripel but would have gone with dry yeast...
Also the batch of Summer Breeze is bubbling at full throttle.

Ah! I shall watch with interest...I fancy a go at the Tripel but would have gone with dry yeast...
Also the batch of Summer Breeze is bubbling at full throttle.

This batch of the Tripel has been made with dry yeast although I made a starter from it. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Summer Breeze reaches it’s best at about six weeks conditioned. It’s nice sooner but you’ll notice a difference from about 4 weeks. Best get another batch on! 😂

This batch of the Tripel has been made with dry yeast although I made a starter from it. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Summer Breeze reaches it’s best at about six weeks conditioned. It’s nice sooner but you’ll notice a difference from about 4 weeks. Best get another batch on! 😂
So many beers,so little time, so few fermenting vessels...

All prepped for tomorrow.

This batch of Summer Breeze (2nd batch using the suspect malt) finished at 1010 rather than the expected 1008 so together with the lower OG, will end up at 4.5%.

Now that sacks of Vienna are available again I’m expecting my next batch of Summer Breeze (planned for the 9th) to be more like previous batches.

All prepped for tomorrow.

This batch of Summer Breeze (2nd batch using the suspect malt) finished at 1010 rather than the expected 1008 so together with the lower OG, will end up at 4.5%.

Now that sacks of Vienna are available again I’m expecting my next batch of Summer Breeze (planned for the 9th) to be more like previous batches.
What brand of Vienna malt did you use. I used crisp from geterbrewed. I just dry hopped mine. Nice smell from the fermentor 👌

Back