Hazy Daisy :-(

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wynott

Regular.
Reaction score
My pomegranate wine has a lovely fragrance and a good taste (so far) but after fining (Kwik Clear) still looks pretty hazy. I followed a recipe which advised chopping up the pomegranates whole, and straining after a few days. I'm thinking now that maybe not de-seeding them was the problem. Wondering if it is a starch haze. Any ideas guys?

Attachments

• IMG_4574.jpg
    IMG_4574.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 174
Put it in a cold room and have a bit of patience? That's what I learned from someone who made wine of all kinds of different things.

I'm thinking to flavour it...
Ah, I see. Well if it's the right time of year (October/November I would guess) you could pop a pom into the beer. If not, some of the fancier supermarkets sell pomegranates in little packs I think. Might be a better flavour? I'm going to try to hide that DJ away somewhere, so I'm not tempted to meddle with it for a while!

My pomegranate wine has a lovely fragrance and a good taste (so far) but after fining (Kwik Clear) still looks pretty hazy. I followed a recipe which advised chopping up the pomegranates whole, and straining after a few days. I'm thinking now that maybe not de-seeding them was the problem. Wondering if it is a starch haze. Any ideas guys?
Starch is easy to test for, just put some of the wine into an eggcup with a drop of iodine solution in aqueous KI or tincture of iodine. If starch is present, it'll turn an inky colour. On the other hand, you may have a pectin haze and it;s not too late to chuck some pectin degrading enzyme in there. Not that I make wine, so what do I know?

Starch is easy to test for, just put some of the wine into an eggcup with a drop of iodine solution in aqueous KI or tincture of iodine. If starch is present, it'll turn an inky colour. On the other hand, you may have a pectin haze and it;s not too late to chuck some pectin degrading enzyme in there. Not that I make wine, so what do I know?
Thanks AA, I'll bung some pectolase in and see. I don't have any tincture of iodine on hand, but I may try that if the Pectolase doesn't do it. I'll still put it away for a bit. I don't want to get too hung up on clarity, if it tastes good etc. etc...

Thanks AA, I'll bung some pectolase in and see. I don't have any tincture of iodine on hand, but I may try that if the Pectolase doesn't do it. I'll still put it away for a bit. I don't want to get too hung up on clarity, if it tastes good etc. etc...
Whatever you do, don't put the iodine in with the wine. It'll ruin it. Just draw off a small test sample. But you knew that. Sorry.

Thanks John. I did put some (more) Pectolase in, so far to no effect. I've put it away for a while to see what happens. If I make it again, I'll be sure to take the 'pips' out of the cases, rather than chopping it all up.

You could get yourself a Vinbright filter,I use one,The wine comes out "water" clear.
Some say it can affect the flavour to use a filter but I have to say I have found no ill effects to using one.
Failing that cold crashing may be your answer.

You could get yourself a Vinbright filter,I use one,The wine comes out "water" clear.
Some say it can affect the flavour to use a filter but I have to say I have found no ill effects to using one.
Failing that cold crashing may be your answer.
Yes, I haven't yet filtered it. I am trying to break my recent habit of filtering everything e.g. WOWs. It is lovely to have clear wines though, especially the lighter ones, or with good colour. I have just this morning bottled some elderflower, and very pleased with it. The longest it has taken yet - from June last year, but well worth the wait. The biggest problem was fermenting out the 3.5 lbs of sugar that dear Cyril recommended, I won't be putting that all in at once again!

I'm assuming the 'cold crashing' means leaving it in as cold a place as possible for a while. We did have a light frost last night, so fingers crossed.

Yup I just use a fridge,Clears the wine rather quickly.
A wee while ago I was commenting with various members about the sugar levels in Mr Berrys books,At first I thought some kind of printing error had taken place,But the more I looked into it I found really,really sweet wines seemed to be the order of the day.
Elderflower is not I would of thought a good sweet wine,If you can get hold of the right bottles it makes a really good sparkling wine.
There used to be a thing on the market years ago called sparkle tops,A sort of vented cork,I used to make some really nice "champers" with them.Guests used to love a bit of sparkle.
I have never made wine with pomegranetes but it does sound rather nice.!!

Yup I just use a fridge,Clears the wine rather quickly.
A wee while ago I was commenting with various members about the sugar levels in Mr Berrys books,At first I thought some kind of printing error had taken place,But the more I looked into it I found really,really sweet wines seemed to be the order of the day.
Elderflower is not I would of thought a good sweet wine,If you can get hold of the right bottles it makes a really good sparkling wine.
There used to be a thing on the market years ago called sparkle tops,A sort of vented cork,I used to make some really nice "champers" with them.Guests used to love a bit of sparkle.
I have never made wine with pomegranetes but it does sound rather nice.!!
Seeing as there was no movement on the Pomegranate, I decided to try filtering it today, anyway. It worked, though it took hours to get it through. And it's also started very slowly showing signs of going again. Tastes ok, so will keep an eye on it and bottle much later. Might be drinkable by the autumn. Next time I will either just use the seeds, or maybe finings twice. Oh, and I managed to get the Elderflower down to a reasonable semi-sweet taste, so lesson learned there.

Glad to see you could get rid of whatever was causing the haze.

It should now finish in its own good time and can then be racked and bottled.

Glad to see you could get rid of whatever was causing the haze.

It should now finish in its own good time and can then be racked and bottled.
I just opened the Pomegranate. Some slight sediment (I probably should have left it in the DJ a bit longer) but a lovely colour, and a great taste. Quite a kick, due to the inclusion of pearl barley. Still, that will make it last longer, won't it :laugh8:

Back