Hazy Dipa.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newb1

Reaction score
Good day.
I’m new to the forum and home brewing. Just bottled my 2nd NEIPA. But the colour is quite dark, does anyone one have any tips to making it lighter and hazier?
Anyway I digress, I’m wanting to brew a nice hazy DIPA next. Thinking of using simcoe, amarillo and vic secret. But unsure about the grain build up. Any advice? Cheers.

Attachments

• CD4D9F74-ACEE-4725-B928-9A311F8DA050.jpeg
    CD4D9F74-ACEE-4725-B928-9A311F8DA050.jpeg
    20.6 KB · Views: 134
Try Googling 'skunking' for a full answer, but basically certain hop compound react with UV light to produce unpleasant skunk-like aromas/flavours.

As said use Lighter grains and NEIPA well known for oxidising which turns a brown colour, clear bottle will cause skunking too so take your pick. the last 2 will be detectable in the taste. If you google each one you will get a good idea how to detect and avoid

NEIPAs are an absolute ********. Easy enough to brew, but near impossible to prevent oxidation unless you are able to do closed transfers.

I lost count of the amount of batches I had go brown/purple within weeks of brewing them.

NEIPAs are an absolute ********. Easy enough to brew, but near impossible to prevent oxidation unless you are able to do closed transfers.

I lost count of the amount of batches I had go brown/purple within weeks of brewing them.
I've brewed 2. Not cracked the 2nd keg open yet but the 1st one remained pretty much the same colour from start to finish with only a drop in hop intensity towards the end. Maybe I got lucky as I made so many daft errors.
The US site has several enormous threads on the subject if you are stuck for reading material!

Hi newb. Can you tell us the ingredients and process you followed.
Hi

I’m using the Grainfather and a plastic fermenting bucket.
I used 5kg of pale ale malt
300g Carmel/crystal 20l
300g flakes oats
300g wheat

using citra, simcoe and mosaic hops 15 mins from the end of the boil
Same again in the whirlpool
And dry hopped again.

it tastes good and is well carbonated. Just expected it to be lighter in colour.

thanks

josh.

What would be the reason to do that?
Thanks.

The caramel/toffee flavours can sometimes clash with, or detract from the hops, and make the beer heavy going and less drinkable.

Starting with an extra pale base malt can help keep the colour light - I've used this grainbill in hazy IPAs a few times (and will again at the weekend) and it gives a nice pale colour if you can avoid oxidation:

1585725893399.png

Currently drinking an IPA with this grainbill of just golden promise, flaked oats & sugar, and I wouldn't want it any darker - will post a pic later. Its a bit early for a drink, even during lockdown :laugh8:
acheers.

1585726213986.png

Back