Hazy Dipa.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah as the others have said both the crystal addition and oxygen will, perhaps, be making your brew darker than you want it. The latter will also certainly be affecting the taste in (IMO) a negative way as per the style i.e. Hazy IPA/NEIPA.

Here's the beer with just GP and flaked oats.
It's a touch lighter than it looks in the photo
20200401_160446.jpg

And one of mine from last year. Paler than it looks in the photo.
edit - this is the BrewDog hazy Jane recipe
384FED9B-F207-4A5E-8F0E-743B2CBE6136.jpeg

Last edited:
If you want a nice light golden colour swap the crystal for Cara Red.
I have found too much of the darker(ish) malts such as crystal, cara aroma or cara amber can clash with the hops in US style IPAs or DIPAs

That looks amazing. Do you remember the grain build?
Thanks

6kg Maris Otter
500g flaked Oats
500g Pale Wheat

Mashed at 66c for an hour

Boiled for 60 mins

20g Amarillo @50
20g Tomahawk @50
20g Centennial @50

20g of each again @55

20g each at flame out.

Cooled to 22c pitched a re hydrated packet of CML Hazy.

OG 1072, slightly more than expected but it may have been wort temp.

About 18l in the FV.

Plan is to dry hop 40g each of the above hops at high krausen, should I take this out at some point or leave it till it's finished fermenting?

Just copied that from my brew days thread, I dry hopped very early, when krausen was high and left it in for for days, then took out that bag and dry hopped again with slightly less I think. I didnt cold crash or use protofloc or anything to clear like usual.

If you do 23l then obviously up your grain bill it's just with my 25l klarstein I find it easier to do 18l.

Just copied that from my brew days thread, I dry hopped very early, when krausen was high and left it in for for days, then took out that bag and dry hopped again with slightly less I think. I didnt cold crash or use protofloc or anything to clear like usual.

If you do 23l then obviously up your grain bill it's just with my 25l klarstein I find it easier to do 18l.
That’s brilliant. Thanks. I’m gonna make that my next brew day.

2D1F205A-0773-4E63-BB54-0FA971850D14.jpeg

That’s my no boil NEIPA with Simcoe, Columbus and a touch of Mosaic & Sorachi Ace. Very simple grain bill of 97% Pale Malt & 3% Wheat. Tastes lovely and is very thick on the mouth feel. Defo recommend doing a no boil if your looking for the hazyness

View attachment 24167

That’s my no boil NEIPA with Simcoe, Columbus and a touch of Mosaic & Sorachi Ace. Very simple grain bill of 97% Pale Malt & 3% Wheat. Tastes lovely and is very thick on the mouth feel. Defo recommend doing a no boil if your looking for the hazyness
So you missed the boil? What’s the advantage of doing that?
Thanks

Latest posts

Back