HBC Exceedingly Good IPA (Willamette) - BIAB with Peco boiler

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spapro

Reaction score
Planning to get this all grain mashkit brew on in the morning, still getting that 'kid on Christmas Eve' feeling the day before a brew !

Will post some pics and weigh the hop additions and post tomorrow.

I think the HBC all grain mashkits kits are great value, particularly now the cost of US/New World Hops has increased.

Planning to get this all grain mashkit brew on in the morning, still getting that 'kid on Christmas Eve' feeling the day before a brew !

I think the HBC all grain mashkits kits are great value, particularly now the cost of US/New World Hops has increased.

It's OK, I've been looking forward to tomorrow's brew day all week.

Just filled my pot and weighed out my grains for an overnight mash. Great isn't it! :party:

Pleased its not just me acting like a big kid then !

Right, was up reasonably bright and early this morning, boiler on at 8:50, slice of toast and a cup of tea under my belt and then got to work.

Weighed out the ingredients just so I know whats gone in for future ref:
4.7kg of grain
Hops:
15g at 60 mins (Herkules 17.3% AA, thanks for spotting this was the bittering hop Clibit)
25g at 15 mins (Willamette 5.9% AA)
50g at flme out (Willamette 5.9% AA)

Heated to 72°C and poured/stirrer the grain into the mashbag (already fitted the mashbag round the rim of the peco boiler).
Mash started at 9:45 - sitting nicely at 68°C

Here are some starting pics, will post a pic of the mash once I lift the lid at 10:45:

WP_20151031_001.jpg

WP_20151031_002.jpg

Happy brewing. I suspect the 15g bittering hops may be different.

Edit: yes, HBC website says Herkules, a clean high alpha German bittering hop.

Happy brewing. I suspect the 15g bittering hops may be different.

Edit: yes, HBC website says Herkules, a clean high alpha German bittering hop.

I did wonder if that might be the case, didn't think 15g was much if 5.9% AA.

Mash done, boil on now.

Only lost 1°C over the one hour mash so pleased with that (68°C at start, 67°C at finish). Dunk sparged in spare FV and 3 kettles of boiled water.

More pics, I did stir the leaf hops in after taking the last photo here:

WP_20151031_003.jpg

WP_20151031_004.jpg

WP_20151031_006.jpg

WP_20151031_007.jpg

A mild from BYOBRA. I didn't have enough fuggles for the bittering addition so I used chinook. I'm also going to use Bramling X instead of fuggles for the flavouring hops

Not done a mild but should try one, hope yours turns out well.

Brew all done, clear up completed, sausage sandwich made, cup of tea also brewed !

SG was spot on at 1045, got 23.5l in FV, pitched US05 yeast at 21°C, now the wait begins.

WP_20151031_009.jpg

WP_20151031_010.jpg

WP_20151031_012.jpg

Latest posts

Back