HBF Home Brew Competition Schedule 2020

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's always going to be an overlap of styles but as long as its fairly 'English' I don't see a problem. Interestingly when looking at the BJCP style guidelines, the colour for a Red IPA can be 21.7-37.4 EBC, and for an English IPA itrs 11.8-27.6 EBC. So arguably, with your English hops you can say you're entering an English IPA :laugh8:

Really looking forward to judging next month :beer1:
I had a "lucky dip" from BrewUK which included French Ale Yeast. Thinking it would be better to try it than chuck it, I knocked up an "Imperial Summer Lightning" at 6.5 % abv and pitched with said yeast. I wasn't expecting any great shakes, but it's one of the best beers I've ever made! There's nothing in it except Maris Otter and Goldings and said yeast. You wouldn't even recognise it as an English beer, it tastes a bit like Affligem and a bit like Leffe, but crisp and good and wholesome in a way that those two aren't. Wouldn't dream of entering it.

I had a "lucky dip" from BrewUK which included French Ale Yeast. Thinking it would be better to try it than chuck it, I knocked up an "Imperial Summer Lightning" at 6.5 % abv and pitched with said yeast. I wasn't expecting any great shakes, but it's one of the best beers I've ever made! There's nothing in it except Maris Otter and Goldings and said yeast. You wouldn't even recognise it as an English beer, it tastes a bit like Affligem and a bit like Leffe, but crisp and good and wholesome in a way that those two aren't. Wouldn't dream of entering it.
I must check out these lucky dips. It seems a good way for trying something new that probably you wouldn't have order yourself.

Last edited:
Are any of our more knowledgeable members thinking of starting up a thread for 2021? I'll certainly throw my hat into the ring to judge any of the American pale ale, dark beer or freestyle months.

I think it would be good to do a Belgian month at some point. They seem to be very popular on here. Since I'm judging this month, I won't try to judge next year so I might as well start the thread

I don't mind doing the thread. I will put it up tomorrow if that's ok. Easier when I haven't had a drink or 2. Any one fancy suggesting some different styles?

I don't mind doing the thread. I will put it up tomorrow if that's ok. Easier when I haven't had a drink or 2. Any one fancy suggesting some different styles?
More specific styles might be useful- for instance a dark month will usually be dominated by Belgians or an impy stout and a bitter or mild will always struggle against such powerful beers. Just a thought. I’m not saying to make the categories so specific that nobody enters but maybe a dedicated Belgian brew off etc would be good fun

Could stouts be a month on their own? Dark beer is very broad ranging. Or possibly just dark beers over 8%? A really good imp is going to blow the socks off an oatmeal stout etc. (As previously alluded to).

I’ve done lagers 2 years in a row. I’d love to do an American or a freestyle

So do we want to have a 1 stout month and 1 Belgian month and get rid of dark beer months?

We used to be specific, but we found there were very few submissions each month. However, we could get more specific with styles now that we have more members.

Stout seems to be a popular style brewed on the forum and definitely could have its own month with a decent number of participants. You might find someone has a brown ale or something dark they may want to submit.

I have said similar to what was said above. But it appears entries have increased massively with the current format and remember this isn't a too style competition so a good mild as just as much to score highly as a imp stout. It's all a out feedback at the end of the day, winning is a bonus. But perhaps splitting some of the popular styles would mean judges don't have to try sinking 15plus pints in one sitting

I have said similar to what was said above. But it appears entries have increased massively with the current format and remember this isn't a too style competition so a good mild as just as much to score highly as a imp stout. It's all a out feedback at the end of the day, winning is a bonus. But perhaps splitting some of the popular styles would mean judges don't have to try sinking 15plus pints in one sitting
Of course it’s about feedback but it’s not really giving Joe bloggs a chance when he’s up against 5 Dubbels and three imperial stouts when he’s entered a brilliant mild. I think the feedback will be impacted by the variety of styles entered unless you’re a professional beer judge. I love the idea of perhaps having a cut off in ABV or at least a ‘dark English’ or ‘dark European’ category?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back