head on beer goes quick

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dps51

Landlord.
Reaction score
just started a new keg had a nice head when I pulled the pint
then within a few mins or two the beer look flat but tasted ok
the beer been in the keg for 3 weeks in the warm then 3 weeks in the cold

just started a new keg had a nice head when I pulled the pint
then within a few mins or two the beer look flat but tasted ok
the beer been in the keg for 3 weeks in the warm then 3 weeks in the cold

Sounds good to me,,keep it chilled :)

What beer is it and what's in it? There's a few tricks brewers can call on when it comes to head retention.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I've read somewhere that the longer beer is conditioned the better chance you have of keeping the head on your pint.
I use Torrified Wheat in a lot of brews and that does seem to help.
Finally clean glasses are essential, and traces of detergent, dishwasher powder or worse an oily film on the glass will not do you any favours.

I've read somewhere that the longer beer is conditioned the better chance you have of keeping the head on your pint.
Finally clean glasses are essential, and traces of detergent, dishwasher powder or worse an oily film on the glass will not do you any favours.
how much of the Torrified Wheat do you add to your grain bill

I agree with this. I've always found the longer my beer (in particular dark beers) are left to condition the better the head and lacing are

I agree with this. I've always found the longer my beer (in particular dark beers) are left to condition the better the head and lacing are

I will third this also!!

Even when a beer is carbonated fizz wise, aging and conditioning seems to improve the head quality and endurance.

Torrified wheat is great for getting a nice thick head on a beer, about 200g in a 21l batch tops for most beers. Keeping the head, apart from the usual suspects, is usually a matter of carbonation - either not enough, or not cellared long enough. If it hasn't been cellared long or cold enough the bubbles tend to be too large and not last.

wheat is great for getting a nice thick head on a beer, about 200g in a 21l batch tops for most beers. Keeping the head, apart from the usual suspects, is usually a matter of carbonation - either not enough, or not cellared long enough. If it hasn't been cellared long or cold enough the bubbles tend to be too large and not last.
As someone who's never used Torrified crushed wheat and just now bought some how do I use it? Do I do a mini mash at 65C and then boil up for how long and add to the extract kit or doesn't it need boiling up

You have to mash TW with pale malt since it contains no diastase itself to convert starch to fermentable sugars. I use 100g TW to 250g Pale Malt, and optionally Crystal Malt. Mash for 45 mins, then boil filtered wort including spargings for about 30 mins (unless its part of my extract brew boil with hops and other malt). At the very least boiling will sterilise the wort.

You have to mash TW with pale malt since it contains no diastase itself to convert starch to fermentable sugars. I use 100g TW to 250g Pale Malt, and optionally Crystal Malt. Mash for 45 mins, then boil filtered wort including spargings for about 30 mins (unless its part of my extract brew boil with hops and other malt). At the very least boiling will sterilise the wort.
so bottom line is if I use it on its own without some crushed malt,steep it then boil up the resulting liquid it wont have any effect on head retention?or will it:thumb:

so bottom line is if I use it on its own without some crushed malt,steep it then boil up the resulting liquid it wont have any effect on head retention?or will it:thumb:
If you use it on its own without a mash, a) the unconverted starch will probably make your beer cloudy, and b) I've really no idea whether it would aid head retention in that uncoverted state or not
Adding TW does seem to work however although I've not run a comparison test with/without.

If you use it on its own without a mash, a) the unconverted starch will probably make your beer cloudy, and b) I've really no idea whether it would aid head retention in that uncoverted state or not
Adding TW does seem to work however although I've not run a comparison test with/without.
I was planning on a steep and a boil before adding to the extract wort as it would go through the same process as if I did a mini mash with some crushed malt

I was planning on a steep and a boil before adding to the extract wort as it would go through the same process as if I did a mini mash with some crushed malt
The process is the same but the results are different i.e. the steep will only produce wheat starch, whereas the mash should produce fermentable sugars.

Back