Head Space Carbonation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dillbert

Reaction score
Hi Folks. I read somewhere that if you leave more head space in your bottles when filling the carbonation is heavier - I would of thought the opposite!
Anyone know the truth or if it makes any noticeable difference at all. I'm not talking about half filling bottles just the difference between 1" or 2":smallcheers:

Hi Folks. I read somewhere that if you leave more head space in your bottles when filling the carbonation is heavier - I would of thought the opposite!
Anyone know the truth or if it makes any noticeable difference at all. I'm not talking about half filling bottles just the difference between 1" or 2":smallcheers:
As I understand, leaving a space (1/2 inch) gives better head retention, not sure on how much and if more space improves it.

Hmm.. thats interesting. I had thought if using PET bottles that you do the 'squeeze' to basically drive all the air out and then cap (and then it expands again). Should there still be 1/2 inch space AFTER the squeeze?

I cannot tell you about pet bottles as I use glass but yes I believe longer headspaces will lead to heavier carbonation.

if you use a bottlng wand you can get perfect results everytime . fill until bottle is full then extracting the wand gives you the right amount everytime.

if you use a bottlng wand you can get perfect results everytime . fill until bottle is full then extracting the wand gives you the right amount everytime.
On the other hand I found it gave way too much headspace - about 1.5 inches so I had to top up bottles from a jug afterwards. One of the reasons I quit using a bottling wand and now just fill straight from the tap.
A big headspace gives the illusion of better carbonation as there's a big `psht' when you pop the cap off. If you have little or no headspace you get non at all - all the CO2 is in the beer. I think you also get better head retention as there's a lower chance of oxidising your beer from headspace O2.

On the other hand I found it gave way too much headspace - about 1.5 inches so I had to top up bottles from a jug afterwards. One of the reasons I quit using a bottling wand and now just fill straight from the tap.
A big headspace gives the illusion of better carbonation as there's a big `psht' when you pop the cap off. If you have little or no headspace you get non at all - all the CO2 is in the beer. I think you also get better head retention as there's a lower chance of oxidising your beer from headspace O2.
you must use a different wand to me. mine is nowhere near that much
.. half o fthat at most

Hmm.. thats interesting. I had thought if using PET bottles that you do the 'squeeze' to basically drive all the air out and then cap (and then it expands again). Should there still be 1/2 inch space AFTER the squeeze?
No, keep it at 1/2 to 1 inch and then squeeze the 02 out, once the carbing has happened (bottle expands) the bottle will have the level you started with b4 the squeeze. athumb..

I always squeeze my PET bottles so that the liquid comes to the top of the bottle and then screw the cap tight. It leaves a distorted bottle, but within 3/4 days, they regain their original shape - and become 'tighter', giving you a visual indication that carbonation has taken place.

I've never really had a problem with low carbonation and I also find I tend to get lots of foam unless I pour really carefully. As long as I do that, I end up with a perfect looking pint.

Back