Head space for glass bottles?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyV8

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi folks...

Probably not the right section for this Q? About to bottle a Brewferm Strong Blonde... as its 'strong' i opted for glass 330ml fliptops, as all my PET bottles are 500ml which it too much for a strong beer :-) .... asking for trouble!

Ive never used glass ones before - how much head space should I be leaving, as I cant do the normal 'squeeze' trick....??? Hoping to avoid any explosions....

Thanks
Alan

If you are using a bottle filling wand I find that if you fill near to the top and remove the bottle away that the space displaced by the wand is just the right amount of space required for carbonation. I have not had any problems so far.

1 cm. I dumped my bottling wand as it was leaving way too much headspace.
You have to have some headspace to allow for liquid expansion with temperature changes otherwise you get broken bottles, but too much headspace will result in oxydation.

1 cm. I dumped my bottling wand as it was leaving way too much headspace.
You have to have some headspace to allow for liquid expansion with temperature changes otherwise you get broken bottles, but too much headspace will result in oxydation.
+1

I tilt the bottling wand / bottle when removing wand to fill up to 1cm. thanks @Clint for this tip.

Probably worth mentioning at this point that there was a thread recently where a poster did lengthy experimentation on oxidation of bottled beer, and whether some fancy crown-tops would make a difference, and the nett result was that amount of air-space left was much more important than whatever type of tops you use.

Back