Headcracker fermentation question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scorrie

Reaction score
I've had a Woodfords 'Headcracker' kit fermenting for seven days now.

The instructions say 4-6 days to get down to 1018, but mine's still sat at 1030 after 7. My wife inadvertently unplugged my fermenting cabinet one afternoon and I didn't realise until the next day. The cabinet is insulated and the temp the next morning was still 14 when I plugged it back in.

There's still positive pressure in the fermenter with the airlock showing that things are still (slowly) happening.

The question is, how much longer should I leave it if the SG doesn't drop enough and what remedial action could I take and when?

Ta

Firstly: Don't panic!

Secondly: kit instructions are wildly optimistic. I usually leave a kit fermenting for at least 2 weeks and don't check the SG until halfway through the second week at the earliest. Some kits can take 3 or even 4 weeks to fully ferment as I don't have any temperature control. I have found that most of the vigorous fermentation is complete after 1 week but the yeast will still be working for a further week to 10 days.

I would leave it for another week and take a gravity reading then. Keep monitoring it in the meantime to make sure that the airlock is still blooping (even if it has slowed right down) and to make sure the temperature is constant.

Back