Headcracker

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King Rattus

Reaction score
Hello

I've just bought the Woodeford's Headcracker kit. Can anyone provide some advice as to how to get the best results? I realise that it will only brew 24 pints but does this mean that I will need a smaller fermenter? Also, should I bottle it straight away or use a pressure barrel? I've been told that it is best to go for bottling.

You won't need a smaller FV (assuming you use a standard 5 gallon bucket). I've happily done 23l, 18l, 10l and 7l brews with no problems whatsoever.

Getting a great brew out of that kit should be really easy. Just sanitise well, rinse well, aerate well, keep your temperature in check (18 to 20C) and just leave it completely alone for a fortnight.

You could dry hop if you wanted a bit more hoppiness in there, maybe some goldings or fuggles but other than that I'd brew it straight.

Age it well though, it's a stronger beer so give it at least a couple of months before tucking in. (The "it's just carbonated and cleared so I need to just check it" bottle is, of course, fine.)

Enjoy, should be a nice one!

hi,
Done this a couple of times, one of my favourites, been told its better if you can leave it to mature for twelve months, never managed to keep it past six :lol:
Dont use to much sugar when bottling, found it tends to get a bit lively the longer its left :cheers:

Did this one in the spring. Brewed to 44pints, added 680g jar of Tesco value honey to help with body, plus spraymalt.
Abv 9%ish.( I think? ) Named the new ******* offspring Old Floordenter!
PLENTY of body, even at 44 pints. Lovely fruity flavour and aroma - my favourite brew so far :cheers:

Back