Heads up...Woodfordes Sundew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YouFUMS

Reaction score
just been in Wilco and noticed this kit on offer at £15. Pretty good for a 3kg kit.
Any tips on doing this one? As it is, or will it benefit from some hop addition? I have some spare citra hop that I am thinking of adding.

All the John Bull kits are a tenner, too. Geordie and their own are still £12.

just been in Wilco and noticed this kit on offer at £15. Pretty good for a 3kg kit.
Any tips on doing this one? As it is, or will it benefit from some hop addition? I have some spare citra hop that I am thinking of adding.

I'd buy a Wilko yeast while you're there in case it still has a 6g yeast sachet in it.

Hmmm there's a reason for that, look at the reviews section: quite a few of us have done this kit and not got good results. I did it twice, once with extra hops, and there was some sort of odd flavour.

Good luck if you have bought one, let us know how it turns out.

12g of yeast with the kit. I am going to do this at the end of next month, and will almost certainly add the citra hops I’ve got. I’ll let you know how I get on

12g of yeast with the kit. I am going to do this at the end of next month, and will almost certainly add the citra hops I’ve got. I’ll let you know how I get on
Picked one up today but came with the stingy 6g pack of yeast. Fortunately, Id followed my own advice :)

Sundew is my only kit that ended up down the drain, can't really describe the taste but was minging:eek:

I've added a jar of H&B malt extract (it's buy one get one half price right now) done to ~22L & have 50g cascade to dry hop with next Monday. Will find out the result in about five weeks from now.

I made one I got on the cheap from Tesco when they sold off all their homebrew stuff a year or so back.

Based on the advice on here and because this kit can be a bit thin I did a grain steep with some light crystal malt then boiled it up and added it to the kit. Brewed to 20L and dry hopped with Cascade. Really wasn't bad, probably even bordering on good.

I've just cooled one for a day or so for a sneak preview (see above for tweak). I'm very happy with the result. Nothing spectacular but certainly a drinkable beer. Now, I'll leave the rest under the stairs (coolest part of the house) for a couple of weeks.

Quite off track - I've just read "sundew" was one of those plants used before hops. Intensely bitter apparently. Or is it the dead flies caught by the sundew that's bitter?

Back