Heat Source Pumps.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buy storage tank and fill when the price is low?
Until Russia is sorted we won't see it low again. It used to be 50% cheaper in summer months and that's when I stock up. It was more expensive in Summer 2023 than winter and the current price. I guess the mild winter had some part to play.

Just before covid I was offered a free tank, I said no, after all they are big ugly things. Covid hit and it dropped to 0.175p a litre, cheapest I have ever seen it.

If you did put in solar, you could add air con type heat pump. That would do a lot of your heating, leaving your existing oil system for just the cold bits from late Dec to end of Feb.
Also get solar powered cooling in the summer during that 1 week of heatwave.

If you did put in solar, you could add air con type heat pump. That would do a lot of your heating, leaving your existing oil system for just the cold bits from late Dec to end of Feb.
Also get solar powered cooling in the summer during that 1 week of heatwave.

How much would that cost?

I don't know, as it would depend on your house & the unit(s) you buy.
If you had an open plan house then you could get away with an inexpensive single downstairs unit as it won't be your main heating.

For 3 internal units split from 1 outside inverter cost range from just over 5k to 8k depending on make, model. Ours was at higher end as it's our only heating, had upstairs ducted to the bedrooms & quietest inverter we could get as it's sited fairly close to neighbours & didn't want to upset them.

Oh, and because it was a new heat pump install, no VAT.

Do you have some links or model numbers? Interested to understand the options and wattage. I have an old aircon unit, and an eye for tinkering.

Latest posts

Back