Heating equipment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisR73

Reaction score
Morning all, advice requested.
Ive used an immersion heater for the last year or so of homebrewing and it always kept a perfect 20C.
Now it’s given up the ghost are pads or belts any good?
Certainly easier to keep clean - please let me have your recommendation.

Given that choice, I would favour a pad or heat mat over a belt. Because of its larger surface area, it has a lower heat density, so is less likely to scorch. If you are prepared to go a step further, get an inkbird or similar controller, to switch the heater on and off at the desired fermentation temperature, just tape the controller's sensor beneath some insulating foam, to the side of the fermenter.

Given that choice, I would favour a pad or heat mat over a belt. Because of its larger surface area, it has a lower heat density, so is less likely to scorch. If you are prepared to go a step further, get an inkbird or similar controller, to switch the heater on and off at the desired fermentation temperature, just tape the controller's sensor beneath some insulating foam, to the side of the fermenter.
I guess that’s the advantage of an immersion unit, they have a thermostat built in.
Might just buy another one then.

1 of these from Amazon in a trug of water...perfect temperature control.

Attachments

• Aquarium Heater.jpg
    Aquarium Heater.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 38
Yes put 2 bricks spaced a part in the trug with the heater horizontally between them pour a couple of gallons of water in turn it on and place fv on the bricks

Set it to 20 degrees Celsius and it's good to go,I do batch after batch like this
When ones fermented I take it out and put the next FV in, change the water every 3 batches or just when it looks a bit murky.

The one nuisance is that you can't really use a water bath with a FV that's fitted with a tap. When I tried to, the water got really claggy & smelly - I guess there must have been a seepaage from the FV tap that would not benoticeble in air?

Currently using an InkBird with a heat belt, the challenge is getitng the belt to stay on the bucket and not slip off..

Back