Heatwave beer ruined

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
…..
Anyone else have to dump a batch
Hopefully “No”!

However, I tapped into an IPA today that has been conditioning for nearly a month. It showed 15psi on the gauge and delivered nothing but foam when I tapped it!

The “Good News” is that, when the foam settled down, the brew didn’t taste or smell “Off”, so I turned off the CO2 and hooked it up to a 5psi keg of Lager to see what happens tomorrow!
:hat:

I'm lucky I guess in having a cellar in a v old house. However those few hot days we had could play a few tricks nonetheless. There are one or two dodges which can be used to clear a yeast haze, if that bothers you, personally I don't worry about such, but you can add gelatine finings (rather than isinglass) and to restore lost condition simply dissolve some sugar in water in a pan on the stove and add that in. In a day or two your beer should clear and get its condition back. Otherwise if you have another brew in fermentation add a pnt of that to the flat one and see it shine again! Hot weather can race the fermentation in the cask reulting in the foam when poured. I have a cask of mild which is like that but i simply pour to the top of the glass, leave it for a minute or two and then top it up. I have not ever had to throw a beer away; but if you have an infection it won't be down to the weather. Make sure everything is thoroughly sterilised before brewing.

What a difference a week makes!

Now back to normal and everything performing okay! I’ve even put the CO2 back on to both brews!

With regard to @The magistrate , a yeast haze is no bother, the IPA+Mango still hasn’t cleared but I rely on “Time + Gravity” to clear my brews so “C’est la vie!” as the Welsh say!

Many thanks!
:D

I had to throw away a couple of kegs of beer after it was damaged by heat. After not enjoying my beer at nearly 30 degrees the ruined beer was the final straw that led to me installing temperature control in my brewshed.

I had to throw away a couple of kegs of beer after it was damaged by heat. After not enjoying my beer at nearly 30 degrees the ruined beer was the final straw that led to me installing temperature control in my brewshed.
A lifetime of misery paying electricity bills v. Two kegs of beer?

I know which one I would choose!
;)

A lifetime of misery paying electricity bills v. Two kegs of beer?

I know which one I would choose!
;)
No, it was two kegs that got thrown away, several others were less enjoyable because they had started to stall or were just served too warm.

Having installed temperature control I would absolutely make the same choice again Dutto, I now enjoy fresh tasting beer at the right temperature all year round. The energy consumed is not that great thanks to lots of good insulation and although there clearly is a cost it’s a price I’m more than happy to put up with for the pleasure I get from my beers. It’s the difference of night and day.

Er … the insulation can’t be all that good or you wouldn’t have had the problem in the first place!
:coat:
Probably a fair point but when I decided to install temperature control I also stripped out the inside of the shed and fitted much better insulation- 3” in the walls and under the floor, 9” in the roof space.

5D8D472B-ABE0-424E-940B-9F56E2594EAF.jpeg

Latest posts

Back