Heavily hopped session (India?) pale ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linalmeemow

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've been AG brewing for about 18 months now and so it's time to put my own recipe together for the first time. I want to do a heavily hopped sessionable pale ale using the "all the hops at the end of the boil" technique, but I'd appreciate some advice with the hop choices and schedule.

I'm going to use the malt bill from a Siren Undercurrent clone that I've done a couple of times:

Maris Otter 2.66kg
Malted oats 520g
Carahell 260g
Caraaroma 40g

Then thought about this hop schedule:

Magnum 10g 60 mins
Amarillo 25g 10 mins
Simcoe 25g 5 mins
Amarillo 25g flameout
Simcoe 25g flameout

50g each Amarillo & Simcoe dry hop

IBU of around 50 or so.

Any thoughts or improvements you could suggest?

I think your hop choice is great but how big is the batch and what's your expected OG?
I'd get rid of the 10min addition though and use these hops later (adjusting the bittering addition to keep the IBUs the same) for maximum hoppiness.

:cheers:

19l, OG 1044 - I've done this with its original hop schedule before (Magnum, cascade, palisade, columbus but only 75g hops in total) so I know the malt bill works, but I'm looking for something far hoppier.

19l, OG 1044 - I've done this with its original hop schedule before (Magnum, cascade, palisade, columbus but only 75g hops in total) so I know the malt bill works, but I'm looking for something far hoppier.

you should notice a good increase in hoppiness compared to the original if it only had 75g total - was the original brew also calculated to 50 IBUs? You can get quite alot of perceived bitterness from late hops.
Hoppiness is very subjective but if it were me I'd at least move the 10min addition to 5mins this time round , and if the beer doesn't have the hop hit you're looking for, then you can increase the amounts and/or move them to later next time.

Not sure what the original IBU was. I'll take the advice re: the 10 minute addition and move that to 5, so that'll be 100g of hops at 5/flameout which should give a decent hit! This gives an IBU of 43 and a BU:GU of 0.92 which, based on the last pale ale I made, will be bitter but not TOO bitter...

Not sure what the original IBU was. I'll take the advice re: the 10 minute addition and move that to 5, so that'll be 100g of hops at 5/flameout which should give a decent hit! This gives an IBU of 43 and a BU:GU of 0.92 which, based on the last pale ale I made, will be bitter but not TOO bitter...

I think that's a good ratio for a sessionable pale ale - let us know how it turns out :thumb1:

Will do, though I've got a porter to do tomorrow and another pale ale (3 Floyds Alpha King clone) to do first so it'll be at least a month before I get to this one.

Back