Hefeweizen recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeBusby

Reaction score
I have just had my first bottle of a hefeweizen all grain kit from Spiedel supplied by Geterbrewed.com. You can see it here - Speidel 38Ì´å_ Wheat Beer Ingredient Box - Get Er Brewed

Considering it has only been in the bottle for 4 days, it is a delicious beer. I am a big fan of hefeweizen, and have drunk a lot from various breweries. I think this is as good as any I have had before. I assume it will get better over the next couple of weeks, but I don’t know that it will last that long!

1608761414129.jpeg

Absolutely bang on. Someone said they managed to be drinking a wheat in under 3 weeks by force carbing and I thought I've had them at 12 days brewed bottled and carbonated and they were gorgeous and extra time didn't improve on it.

Since I did the CML Gretel and Kristalweizen experiments at 35c and they're both great I'm really wondering what the limit could be. I'm cautious but I'm not ruing out brew to bottle conditioned in a week and it not being cack.

I have just realised that it was only in the bottle for 2 days! So, I fermented for 9 days and in the bottle for 2. 11 days in total between brew day and getting into my stomach.

Wow. Drop a comment in and see if you think they got better of time or stayed the same. Wheat beer yeasts need as much attention as kveik is getting for sure.

Merry Christmas, dude.

Wow. Drop a comment in and see if you think they got better of time or stayed the same. Wheat beer yeasts need as much attention as kveik is getting for sure.

Merry Christmas, dude.
So, just about to drink my penultimate bottle of this lovely hefeweizen just under 4 weeks after the first. You wanted to know how it aged. The answer is that it is just as good as it was 2 days out of the bottle. I would love to know what it was like 2-3 months after bottling, but I just can’t see it lasting that long in my house!

However, I am just starting another here brew today and have another scheduled for next weekend, so maybe some of those brews will be allowed to age. :cool:

So, my weissbier has been sitting in the fermenter for 9 days and has almost certainly finished fermenting (Weihanstephan 3068). Are you saying that I could just bottle it now? I don't need to leave it in the warm for another 5 days, then in the cold for 2 weeks before bottling? I like the sound of this...

So, my weissbier has been sitting in the fermenter for 9 days and has almost certainly finished fermenting (Weihanstephan 3068). Are you saying that I could just bottle it now? I don't need to leave it in the warm for another 5 days, then in the cold for 2 weeks before bottling? I like the sound of this...
I believe that weissbier should be drunk fresh, and I don’t see any benefit in going through a clearing stage as the beer is served cloudy anyway. Look, I am no expert ... far from it. I can only report back what I did and how it came out.

I believe that weissbier should be drunk fresh, and I don’t see any benefit in going through a clearing stage as the beer is served cloudy anyway. Look, I am no expert ... far from it. I can only report back what I did and how it came out.
I brewed a weissbier (GH Recipe) on the 9th January kegged and force carbed it last night and it was already drinkable (and not in the drinkable but still green way, in the I would happily have a couple of pints of this).

Absolutely bang on. Someone said they managed to be drinking a wheat in under 3 weeks by force carbing and I thought I've had them at 12 days brewed bottled and carbonated and they were gorgeous and extra time didn't improve on it.

Since I did the CML Gretel and Kristalweizen experiments at 35c and they're both great I'm really wondering what the limit could be. I'm cautious but I'm not ruing out brew to bottle conditioned in a week and it not being cack.

Would be tempted to try that myself once we get into summer.

Forgive my ignorance, but can you feement wheat beers at a higher temperature?
Really need ideas for brewing in warmer climates. Not that keen on saison and still haven't got the hang of kveik yet.

22C is the recommended temperature for the yeast I used, but you can go up to 24C. There is somebody else on here who has used the CML Gretel yeast - Online Store | brewstore. It looks like you can go to 30C with that, and it is ideal for weizenbiers.
That sounds perfect! I don't have temperature control and from March onwards it's just too warm in my flat to brew at the usual ranges.

Forgive my ignorance, but can you feement wheat beers at a higher temperature?
Really need ideas for brewing in warmer climates. Not that keen on saison and still haven't got the hang of kveik yet.
I was worried about my batch hitting 25, and being an estery mess, well their where a lot of esters (lots of banana flavour) but it worked and was extremely pleasant.

Given how cheap a batch of Wheat beer can be ingredients wise I am planning to give high temp fermenting a try this Summer.

I tried the Kveik thing last summer and didn't really like any of the beers I made. There's a taste to Kveik that I don't enjoy, I pick it up in commercial beers as well.

This year I'm brewing nothing but wheat beers once the temperature gets too warm for anything else. I brewed my weizenbock at 26°C last summer and it was fantastic. I've also aged it and it was considerably better young.

Nor me, worth a try but the taste wasn't right. A really clear result though.

Which yeast did you use for that one?
WLP300 it was a banana bomb

I've also tried Mangrove Jack's Belgian Tripel yeast in a wheat beer and that also turned out pretty tasty. I prefer WLP300 though

Danstar Munich yeast is pretty good in a German style wheat beer. I brewed a batch with it in the middle of summer last year with no temperature control. I didn't monitor the temperature constantly, but it was in the low 20s, i.e. between 22 and 24 degC. The result was very true to style.

Latest posts

Back