Hello all - another newbe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haggerma

New to brewing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evening all,

Just joined the forum as I see it as a great community and a great source of information and help.

I have a home pub (man cave) where i have a draft tap setup with in-line cooler. I have been planning on brewing my own beer for a while and got a home start kit for Xmas.

The kit includes everything I need to get fermentation going and I plan on the secondary fermentation to take place in a corney. I then plan to transfer to another corney keg for serving.

All still in the planning stages for now so plenty of forum searching to do.

Evening all,

Just joined the forum as I see it as a great community and a great source of information and help.

I have a home pub (man cave) where i have a draft tap setup with in-line cooler. I have been planning on brewing my own beer for a while and got a home start kit for Xmas.

The kit includes everything I need to get fermentation going and I plan on the secondary fermentation to take place in a corney. I then plan to transfer to another corney keg for serving.

All still in the planning stages for now so plenty of forum searching to do.
Hi and welcome to the forum..
Why transfer to a second corny keg?
You do realise that anything transferred from primary will drop out in secondary as I assume that you shall be cold crashing and if not and some findings. I've never triple transferred as there is no point unless you want something ulta clear in which case you would need to filter and preferably two stage from 100 to a 10 micron would do it but again risking oxidation of your beer unless you're supping pretty quickly.
If you're in for a bargain get off to a Tesco store and get their Wherry Amber Ale kit, half price @£20 as it will come in handy for spares.

Hi, thanks for the heads up, i am still working it all out and saw this somewhere, I don't want to over complicate things. Still need to read up about cold crashing.

I am an absolute newbe so still learning the lingo.

Hi, thanks for the heads up, i am still working it all out and saw this somewhere, I don't want to over complicate things. Still need to read up about cold crashing.

I am an absolute newbe so still learning the lingo.
Patience is a virtue and we need to walk before we run but don't be afraid to make mistakes as all you can do is learn from them.
Sounds like a decent set up you have and will get better as you progress...

Agree with Gerryjo

I can't see why you need to transfer to a 2nd corny

The point of secondary fermentation is to carbonate your drink (give it a fizz)

Seeing as you have a corny you could achieve that carbonation far easier with a gas bottle

The trouble with 2ndary fermentation in a corny is that you end up with a load of trub (yucky sediment) at the bottom. Carbonation with a gas bottle is far easier

Cold crashing simply means moving the brew, once fermentation is finished to temperatures lower than 5C. Lot's of people use a fridge for this but fitting a corny into a fridge means a lot of modification to the fridge and so you would need a dedicated fridge

At the moment my garage is less than 5C and so I simply leave the fermentation buckets in there to cold crash

Why cold crash? - it helps all sorts of particles that are in your beer drop out and in doing so the beer clears

Just leaving your beer alone to condition will do the same - cold crashing speeds up the process

You do need to consider how long to leave the beer to condition, and although it is tempting to sample your beer as soon as you can. I use a simple rule i.e. for every 10 points above 1000 the OG was, it needs a week. i.e. OG of 1050 needs 5 weeks to condition

If you do 2ndarily ferment in a corny you would have to add a small amount of gas pressure e.g. 3psi because the keg needs to be under pressure to seal properly, in the early days of 2ndy fermentation there would not be enough CO2 produced to seal properly without gas introduced

Hi and welcome to the forum..
Why transfer to a second corny keg?
You do realise that anything transferred from primary will drop out in secondary as I assume that you shall be cold crashing and if not and some findings. I've never triple transferred as there is no point unless you want something ulta clear in which case you would need to filter and preferably two stage from 100 to a 10 micron would do it but again risking oxidation of your beer unless you're supping pretty quickly.
If you're in for a bargain get off to a Tesco store and get their Wherry Amber Ale kit, half price @£20 as it will come in handy for spares.
Just did a weekly food shop and spotted one of those wherry kits for £10, got itainly for the spares... Is the beer any good?

Just did a weekly food shop and spotted one of those wherry kits for £10, got itainly for the spares... Is the beer any good?
No idea yet but tasted promising on the sample though is conditioning in the keg at the moment.
You stole that for a tenner and I thought it was good at £20...

Back