Hello all!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottling and brewing the same day? That's gonna take some planning! Especially in keeping other house occupants out of the way!
And it did! I almost had second thoughts and went solely for a bottling session at around 08:00 this morning, it went well, so I decided to bite the bullet and go for the brew, what the heck I had little else to do! Bottling was rounded up at around 11:00 ish, so I started the next mash which is another Czech inspired Pilsner style, I'm calling 'bláznivá kočka' or BKP! (pronounced blars-nevar korshka) or 'Crazy cat' seeing as Czech Pivovar's (breweries/pubs) seem to take the names of domestic animals.
Anyhow, the mash/boil went well, 3 hop additions with more hops this time from last brew, as I feel my brews are lacking in the hoppy-happiness stakes for my liking. Well that is until I plugged the ground water pipe into the wort chiller without having the other end attached and sprayed my shin with boiling water that had accumulated in the coil!!! there's not ball valve fitted to the exit hose fitting and I'd carelessly left the tap on. A dumb mistake! :-( :-( :-(
I managed to chill down to 24c which was amazing seeing as the ambient temp in the garage was c. 31c. I have taken to attaching my malt stirrer with the end ground off to my drill driver and whirlpooling the wort for about 20 mins-ish, seems to do the trick and appears to aerate the wort at the same time.

I siphoned off about 22l into the FV and gravity was just above 1050 which is what I'm expecting from 5Kg of malt. I would have had slightly more but the silicone pipe slipped off the pump whilst sparging so around 3/4 L christened the garage floor! Oh well..
IMG_1951.jpg

0DCCFDE9-0B80-4AC1-8715-18E4C33FE4CB.JPG

Last edited:
And it did! I almost had second thoughts and went solely for a bottling session at around 08:00 this morning, it went well, so I decided to bite the bullet and go for the brew, what the heck I had little else to do! Bottling was rounded up at around 11:00 ish, so I started the next mash which is another Czech inspired Pilsner style, I'm calling 'bláznivá kočka' or BKP! (pronounced blars-nevar korshka) or 'Crazy cat' seeing as Czech Pivovar's (breweries/pubs) seem to take the names of domestic animals.
Anyhow, the mash/boil went well, 3 hop additions with more hops this time from last brew, as I feel my brews are lacking in the hoppy-happiness stakes for my liking. Well that is until I plugged the ground water pipe into the wort chiller without having the other end attached and sprayed my shin with boiling water that had accumulated in the coil!!! there's not ball valve fitted to the exit hose fitting and I'd carelessly left the tap on. A dumb mistake! :-( :-( :-(
I managed to chill down to 24c which was amazing seeing as the ambient temp in the garage was c. 31c. I have taken to attaching my malt stirrer with the end ground off to my drill driver and whirlpooling the wort for about 20 mins-ish, seems to do the trick and appears to aerate the wort at the same time.

I siphoned off about 22l into the FV and gravity was just above 1050 which is what I'm expecting from 5Kg of malt. I would have had slightly more but the silicone pipe slipped off the pump whilst sparging so around 3/4 L christened the garage floor! Oh well..View attachment 30576

OUCH! Oh well, it'll be gone by next week, but brewing IS pushing and shoving with piping hot sugar water. Not to mention all them brewers that are fond of their glass 5 gallon demijohns. Just do an image search for "injury glass demijohn". Stitches galore! But more important question: hop-forward pilsners?!

Latest posts

Back