Hello all :)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello neighbour - I'm in Paisley!

I thought the same about beer brewing and started out making mead and wine, but it's not complicated. Some of the discussions on here make it sound complicated e.g. water additions and temperature control, but it can be as simple as you want it to be, particularly if you are brewing from extract kits. If you do want to give it a go, I'd recommend starting with the kits from The Range (seeing as you have one near you in Paisley) - cheap, and they yield decent beers.

What you're doing is probably more complicated than making an extract kit beer! 😁
Hello neighbour!

I never thought The Range in Paisley stocked home brew stuff? I’ll need to pop in during the week for a nosey. And here was me thinking I chose wine which I thought was the easier option haha.

We have been making the Range Make Your Own kits for a few years, rumour has it Muntons make the kits for them so you have no worries about quality.

They are popular with members and i cannot remember anyone having anything negative to say about them.

rrrrr.jpg

Last edited:
We have been making the Range Make Your Own kits for a few years, rumour has it Muntons make the kits for them so you have no worries about quality.

They are popular with members and i cannot remember anyone having anything negative to say about them.

rrrrr.jpg
Thanks chippy_tea. I will definitely have to give it a bash. Do most beers, lagers and ciders require ageing? Or are they more suited to drink when they are young?

We only make the wine, we don't age it and the first bottle tastes the same as bottle number 28 (you never get 30 unless you go way over 22.5 litres)

I don't deliberately age any beers, however, the last batch of Irish Stout that I made has been sitting in the loft since February/March. I had a bottle last week, as a tester before giving some to a friend, and it was pretty damn good. I've been in more of an IPA/Pilsner mood this summer, so I think the Stout will be out the loft and into the fridge come October/November. Too warm these days for me to enjoy stout as much as I normally do.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings - I've made the American IPA and the Irish Stout from The Range, and both have been fine to drink immediately, but I would say that, if you have the patience, a few months ageing for the stout will give better results.

We only make the wine, we don't age it and the first bottle tastes the same as bottle number 28 (you never get 30 unless you go way over 22.5 litres)

oh that’s interesting to know about ageing. I recently had a bottle of the Beaverdales Sauvignon Blanc which definitely improved with 7-8 weeks of ageing. I guess it must be a personal choice/taste with ageing then?

I don't deliberately age any beers, however, the last batch of Irish Stout that I made has been sitting in the loft since February/March. I had a bottle last week, as a tester before giving some to a friend, and it was pretty damn good. I've been in more of an IPA/Pilsner mood this summer, so I think the Stout will be out the loft and into the fridge come October/November. Too warm these days for me to enjoy stout as much as I normally do.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings - I've made the American IPA and the Irish Stout from The Range, and both have been fine to drink immediately, but I would say that, if you have the patience, a few months ageing for the stout will give better results.

Has the heat in the loft had an effect on the stout during the summer with regards to colouring or quality? I agree the weather has been to warm for any sort of heavy liquid - even soup.

I will try to get a pilsner kit and give it a wee bash and see what happens…. What could possibly go wrong…!

Latest posts

Back