Hello and general brewing advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bisonhead

Reaction score
Hi all,
Been fancying getting into home brewing for a while. My Son got a starter kit for Christmas and we set about the adventure last Sunday.

We set away a St Peters 2 can Golden ale and a Wilco's cider kit last Sunday. Checked them tonight and the Ale is good on the SG (In the Yellow For bottling), its been bubbling away like mad all week and has settled down the last 2 days with only the occasional bubbles. Added some finning tonight and will check again on Wednesday ready for bottling. Going to add 2 sugars carbonation drops to each 750ml bottle. Had a little taste from the test tube and have to say it was very pleasant.

However the Cider hasn't really bubbled at all and the SG was very very low. Took a chance of giving it a gentle stir and will check it again on Wednesday. Tasted very thin and weak when i had a taste. Any Ideas

Thank you
Bisonhead

However the Cider hasn't really bubbled at all and the SG was very very low. Took a chance of giving it a gentle stir and will check it again on Wednesday. Tasted very thin and weak when i had a taste. Any Ideas

Welcome to the forum.

Can you give us more details -

What kit is it?

What was your first hydrometer reading?

What is it showing now?

Don't use the airlock as proof it is or isn't fermenting many FV's are not airtight so its always best to use the hydrometer to check.

Hi Chippy, thanks for the fast reply.

We sadly did not get a Starting SG, totally forgot about doing that...... It was all a bit rushed when we set them away.

It was a Wilco's Cider single tin kit. We added 1.5kg of brewing sugar.

The reading tonight i didn't write down, but it was very low on the bulb around 90 in the blue to 1.10. just looking at the bulb now.

Thanks
Bisonhead

And get your lad on board too.
And if the wife thinks its ok then you have cracked it my son.
we are a decent bunch here all are welcome.But the moderator does not tolerate vile and nasty people.

Bisonhead,

Can you retake your gravity reading?

My hydrometer has a blue area that is sub 0.995. If the figure is genuinely in the blue area, then I would suggest that your kit has finished fermenting.

In my experience most cider kits, turbo cider and pure pressed apple juice have a finishing gravity range of 1.002 to 1.000 (in the yellow area).

Thanks for all the advice and kind welcomes.

Well, an update on the brews.

Wilco Cider: Left it another few days, well actually a week as have been busy with other stuff. Bottled last week, added 2 carbonation drops per bottle. Have it sitting in the front room. Around 20c so should be fine i think temp wise.

Its really very clear now. Took a bottle and chilled it down yesterday (Week 3). I have to say it was fantastic, very tasty and great carbonation. Whole family had a little try and agreed it was very toothsome. Just the job for summer in the garden i think. Might set another 2 kits away next weekend

So going to leave it another week in the front room, then move into the garage to condition up.

St Peters Golden Ale: That was also bottled up last week and it's looking quite clear from what i can see through a brown bottle. Have a bottle chilling and will try it tonight and post tasting results. Understand beer should be left a while prior to drinking, but thought would try 1 bottle. *****Update: Just shared a bottle with the lad, not bad at all, very drinkable. Pretty clear, was a touch too cold from the fridge, but good non the less. Drank far worse for a Fiver a time ha.
The Wife even tried it and didn't do a scrunched up face, so think its not bad at all. Be better in a month or 2 i think.

Northumbria Brown Ale: Set that away last weekend and its slowed right down on the airlock action. (Used brewers stuff? instead of the sugar). SG was 0.040 (Trying to get the hang of reading the Hydrometer) - FG was bang in the yellow today. So have added finings today and will probably bottle up Wednesday or most likely the weekend (Will it be ok being in the FV an extra week??). Will also let that have another 2 weeks in the front room before going to the colder garage (5c average)

Had a little taste from the testing tube and it's not bad at all. Think it will be around 3-4% which is fine.

Cheers
BH

Last edited:
Bottling up the Brown ale today and moving the Golden ale and cider out to the garage. As its had 2 weeks in the front room now.

So bottled the Brown ale and set away a Wilco cider 40 pints and a Wilco Lager 40 pints, both SG of .35/40

Hi Bisonhead, have you thought about doing turbo cider? Just get pure apple juice from the supermarket and add cider or ale yeast.

Hi Bisonhead, have you thought about doing turbo cider? Just get pure apple juice from the supermarket and add cider or ale yeast.
Was wondering if to give that a try. I have to make a Strawberry and lime? fruit cider for the daughter next. Then may well give the turbo cider a try

Add the fruit to the turbo cider or in the form of fruit juices or, as many members on here do, lowitz .I've done a couple using 1ltr of Tesco forest fruit juice and 4 ltrs AJ to make a 5ltr batch.Turns out very nice.athumb..

Sounds like a plan with turbo cider. Is it just supermarkets own brand AJ?

Latest posts

Back