Hello from a novice!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steven gude

Reaction score
Hello all :) whilst I've already posted for advice in the forum I thought I'd say a proper hello here!

My equipment comes tomorrow/Thursday (home brew online starter kit) and I've gone for a Woodforde wherry kit to start with.

I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of daft questions along the way but looking forward to getting stuck in and making some drinkable beer :)

Hello all :) whilst I've already posted for advice in the forum I thought I'd say a proper hello here!

My equipment comes tomorrow/Thursday (home brew online starter kit) and I've gone for a Woodforde wherry kit to start with.

I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of daft questions along the way but looking forward to getting stuck in and making some drinkable beer :)
Oh, and check this thread: https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/...you-which-youd-pass-on-to-a-new-brewer.76671/
Educative!

Welcome, and expect daft answers :laugh8:

Nah seriously, got any plans for the long run? Or just waiting how the first brew turns out?
My plan is to go to all grain eventually but just see how the first one turns out. I love trying different beers (mainly pale ales and bitters) so I'm hoping I can make s decent go of it.

I'm not overly patient so that's something I need to learn :laugh8:

My plan is to go to all grain eventually but just see how the first one turns out. I love trying different beers (mainly pale ales and bitters) so I'm hoping I can make s decent go of it.

I'm not overly patient so that's something I need to learn :laugh8:

Well, in the mean time you'll need bottles, so better start drinking! Or did you plan to buy empty bottles, or kegs or...

Well, in the mean time you'll need bottles, so better start drinking! Or did you plan to buy empty bottles, or kegs or...
I'll be saving up beer bottles (and I've told my father in law to save some too)! Definitely want to go down the bottle route for now. Purely just because i like opening a bottle! Something great about it.

Can't want to get going :) although the temperature for fermentation is going to be my first issue - our garage is freezing so it'll have to be a spare bedroom but then I fear they may be slightly too warm.

Seems like a great forum!

I'll be saving up beer bottles (and I've told my father in law to save some too)! Definitely want to go down the bottle route for now. Purely just because i like opening a bottle! Something great about it.

Can't want to get going :) although the temperature for fermentation is going to be my first issue - our garage is freezing so it'll have to be a spare bedroom but then I fear they may be slightly too warm.

Seems like a great forum!
20º C should do, it's an ale and they like room temperature. Or you drape some wet towels around the fermentation vessel, that could cool too. But I wouldn't worry with room temperature.

Already read a bit up on sanitation?

20º C should do, it's an ale and they like room temperature. Or you drape some wet towels around the fermentation vessel, that could cool too. But I wouldn't worry with room temperature.

Already read a bit up on sanitation?
I've got a spot on a built in desk in one of the spare rooms that is the other side of the room to the radiator so I'm going to try there first.

My general thoughts on sanitation were
Fill vessel to Brim so it covers lid too and leave stirring equipment etc in for 30min . Then run some of this through the tap (open it for a couple of second to drain some of the liquid in the vessel). Then rince thoroughly with cold tap water and run some through the tap again. Hopefully this will suffice?

I've got a spot on a built in desk in one of the spare rooms that is the other side of the room to the radiator so I'm going to try there first.

My general thoughts on sanitation were
Fill vessel to Brim so it covers lid too and leave stirring equipment etc in for 30min . Then run some of this through the tap (open it for a couple of second to drain some of the liquid in the vessel). Then rince thoroughly with cold tap water and run some through the tap again. Hopefully this will suffice?

Sounds good, not sure if you use a nonrinse sanitiser, as long as you don't use any detergent that either has a smell or corrodes metal you're good to go. Some people sanitise _never_ , some people even sanitise their beer-glasses _just_ before pouring.

It takes half a day, it's not something you start after tea. So planning is a thing. And taking notes, just a few.

Sounds good, not sure if you use a nonrinse sanitiser, as long as you don't use any detergent that either has a smell or corrodes metal you're good to go. Some people sanitise _never_ , some people even sanitise their beer-glasses _just_ before pouring.

It takes half a day, it's not something you start after tea. So planning is a thing. And taking notes, just a few.
I've got an earlier finish at work tomorrow so my hope was to start then but I still don't think I'll have time so it will have to be the weekend. I'll take plenty of notes and I've got a couple of people lined up to taste it :)

We've got a local homebrew shop in chesterfield so I'm going to visit there on Saturday and see what interesting gizmos they have

Thanks again for the warm welcome and advice!

Just noticed my first mistake

Bought a 23l vessel but a 40pint wherry kit
Will the vessel be too small? Should I just brew half and if so will it harm the brew if I put more than half the yeast in?

Just noticed my first mistake

Bought a 23l vessel but a 40pint wherry kit
Will the vessel be too small? Should I just brew half and if so will it harm the brew if I put more than half the yeast in?
Hm, so the headspace would be about 15%. Not what I would think optimal, but if the Wherry is not too enthusiastic it should work.
Two options:
1) just fill it and hope the blow-off tube works (wouldn't trust a water lock here)
2) and here's an option I have no experience in: Brew everything but top it up to 18 liters, and add those 2 liters after fermentation.
3) another option I just thought of: use the kit to brew 18 liters and get a bit stronger, tastefuller beer.

Fellow brewers, could it work?

Aren't the 23L fermentation vessels actually 25l in total? My wilko ones are and they seem to have enough space for the froth, I've fitted a grommet and an airlock to one of mine...

I messaged the manufacturer and it is 25l. Should I still brew short to say 20l? I like it a bit stronger!

I am so glad to see some of the same questions I had ,and relevant answers. I did search thro the forums and nearly all was revealed

Off we go!

Not sure if I've been sterile enough but I guess we will find out! 15240781072404103121685958930138.jpg

Latest posts

Back