Hello from Ayrshire

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Filternozzle

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm new to this hobby, in fact I haven't made a brew yet. I hope to learn from you all.

Welcome to the forum. :thumba:

Have you bought any equipment or are you just starting out?

Hi both and welcome. My advice to any complete beginner would be buy a book (like Morton or Wheeler or Hughes) and read it from cover to cover apart from the recipes, which you should just dip into. You'll then have a framework and context for your questions and answers and the whole process will become demystified. While you're doing that, get a fermentation bucket, some syphon tube, a hydrometer and a kit from Wilco and get it on the go. While it's brewing, collect some swing lid bottles or some 50 cl PETs to put the beer in when it's done.
Look on Amazon or this forum for a suitable book. Be careful not to choose something too in-depth at this stage (like Palmer, for example, excellent for later).
Good luck.

Go visit a local brew club, or help a mate that brews. Watch some YouTube videos. Some things get really hot, or really sticky, or really heavy, at the same time. It's not all glamorous, although we consider ourselves rock&roll stars at times :cheers3:

+1 for YouTube and Greg Hughes' book, aka 'The Bible'. I basically went straight into AG brewing after watching hours of YT vids from the likes of Hapless Ginger, NewToHomeBrewTom, Homebrew Chris etc. They might assume a little knowledge in the first instance, but after watching a few of their brews along with reading the Bible, you'll be up to speed pretty quickly. After that it's all down to practical experience and learning from the inevitable mistakes! This forum is a great tool for answering any questions you may have during the process. I'm only on AG no 4, but have come a long way since no.1, which turned out better than any standard commercial beer I have tried. Also look into signing up to an online recipe site such as Brewers Friend, as this will help you to create or find recipes. I would suggest starting with a pale ale style, as these are generally the easiest to follow, require less ingredients and can be fermented at room temp. Then it's all down to experimenting with different malt and hop combo's! In 5-6 weeks you should have some very decent beer at a fraction of the cost of shop bought ones. If you don't have any kit yet, this is an absolute steal and has pretty much all you need to get your first brew on....https://www.beerhawk.co.uk/brewery-in-a-box-essential-starter-kit
Good luck, and be sure to share your successes and failures with us all!

I've just joined and am relatively new to brewing too. For what it's worth I definitely recommend the Greg Hughes book. All my recipes so far have come from that and with yhe advice it gives all have been a great success. That said, I'm from Paisley and would therefore drink anything....

His single-hop ales are splendid for getting well-acquainted with mashing and sparging, and give a good impression of the hop character.
Exactly this. Great for easing you into mash/sparge/boil/yield volumes. Also just the general reference tables like priming sugar or yeast substitutes. I know you can find it all online, but this book is great to have to hand on brew day.

Also the American IPA is stonkingly good :beer1:

Also there is a youtube channel called "Beer and BBQ by Larry" or something like that. He's got a playlist on brewing basics and sets it out really well.

Latest posts

Back