Hello from Brazil

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boa tarde! Bem vindo. Onde no sul voce mora?

Enough Portuguese - I might get into trouble for not chatting in English! I lived in Rio de Janeiro for a while. 🇧🇷

Thought you might say that! I stayed in Cassino for a week, but it was during winter, so very cold and boring! No parties on the beach! Flew from RJ via Porto Alegre and Pelotas on a tiny plane - scary! 🙈

For recipe sharing reasons - do you do brewfather?
Hi. No, actually I'm using an automated brew in a basket system that a friend of mine assembled. I'm thinking in chance the basket for a bag.

What's your favourite brew?

Anything dark, strong and bitter. ; )

Like this one, that I have brewed in December, last year.

1.068 OG FG 1.014 ABV 7.08% IBU 50
SRM 33

0.50 kg BSG - Perla Negra
0.50 kg Weyermann - Special W
0.50 kg German - CaraMunich II
4.50 kg Pilsen
1 kg Cane Sugar

Yeast S-33

Hop Northern Brewer 25g @ 90 min and 25g @ 60 min.

Ended up very good.

Welcome, Alan.
So what are you brewing now and what mighty beers have you got planned for the future?

I bottled the last batch in February, it's a brown IPA, accordingly Brewers Friend definition.

Og:1.055 FG 1.011 ABV 6% IBU 50 SRM 15.

5.5 kg pilsen
0.5 kg CaraAroma
1 kg cane sugar
Mash 5.4 l/kg
Yeast S-33
Hops 25g target and 12.5g warrior at 60 min

This month, I

Continuing...
This month, I'll brew an experimental beer, 6 kg pilsen, for 5 L/kg and split in two fermenters. One I'll add .5 kg homemade caramel and in the other .5 kg of homemade belgian candy.

Have you ever brewed with inverted caramel or belgian candy?

I bottled the last batch in February, it's a brown IPA, accordingly Brewers Friend definition.

Og:1.055 FG 1.011 ABV 6% IBU 50 SRM 15.

5.5 kg pilsen
0.5 kg CaraAroma
1 kg cane sugar
Mash 5.4 l/kg
Yeast S-33
Hops 25g target and 12.5g warrior at 60 min

This month, I
That's a very interesting recipe. I made something very similar using an Irish crystal malt, which they call "black" crystal malt. Both are the same colour, 400 ebc or 150 lovibond. I was trying to copy an English beer called Old Peculier. It wasn't a close copy, but the beer's good.
24 litres
4480g pale ale malt
600g Black crystal malt
300g torrified wheat
600g sugar
Challenger and Fuggles hops.
It came out at 7.5% abv.

Yeah, I tried making number 3 invert sugar and stopped too early and ended up with number 2. I don't often use sugars in my beers since, living in France, I can easily get Belgian beers and so I try to brew modern English or German styles.

Good luck with your experiment.

Continuing...
This month, I'll brew an experimental beer, 6 kg pilsen, for 5 L/kg and split in two fermenters. One I'll add .5 kg homemade caramel and in the other .5 kg of homemade belgian candy.

Have you ever brewed with inverted caramel or belgian candy?
I have a Belgian Dubbel fermenting at the moment that used candi sugar

Recipe attached

Attachments

• Brewfather_BelgianDubbel_20210304-1.pdf
    56.8 KB · Views: 77
Thanks Obadiah, I'll have a go at that.
Could you explain the third item in the Fermentables list? (Even if it oesn't contribbute to the total of 4.6 Kg).

Fermentables (4.6 kg)
4.21 kg - Maris Otter 6 EBC (91.5%)
230 g - Crystal Extra Dark 475 EBC (5%)
^ 19.12.20 8kgs Brew Store
160 g - Chocolate Malt 985 EBC (3.5%)

Thanks Obadiah, I'll have a go at that.
Could you explain the third item in the Fermentables list? (Even if it oesn't contribbute to the total of 4.6 Kg).

Fermentables (4.6 kg)
4.21 kg - Maris Otter 6 EBC (91.5%)
230 g - Crystal Extra Dark 475 EBC (5%)
^ 19.12.20 8kgs Brew Store
160 g - Chocolate Malt 985 EBC (3.5%)
No it's not a fermentable

I use brewfather software and when I add an ingredient into the inventory I include in the entry the date I bought it and where from - in this case I bought 8kgs from the Brew Store on 19/12/20

It is not included for the MO because I always use Muntons and I can't remember where I purchased the chocolate from

Latest posts

Back