Hello from...Canada?!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamB

Reaction score
A Canadian with a penchant for British beers, of course!

My name is Adam, and I'm a semi-professional brewer here in Canada (I say semi-professional because I am currently studying brewing at college, and producing saleable beer on both a 5 barrel and half-barrel system).

I signed up because, as I mentioned, I love British beer styles (a rarity here) and would love to get some insight on how to really do them right. Hazy IPA's and kettle sours are all the rage in North America, but I find myself more often than not just craving a well made bitter (which are, unfortunately, scarce on store shelves).

That's my story!

I'm here from the states. Same reason, I LOVE British style beers and want to make them better!

I agree on the NEIPA thing. Just not interested.

All the Best,
D. White

Welcome to the forum, coming over to Canada next month for some snowboarding in Banff and hoping to be able to get some decent IPA's

Nice one, Adam. I'm trying to find the perfect English bitter, too, even though I've been drinking the stuff for 50+ years. It's a very shifting style and I've seen many old names change their flavour subtly, but inexorably over the years, mainly becoming sweeter and less bitter. My advice would be to find a source of older, commercial recipes in use before crystal (caramel) malt became widespread and go from there.
Oh and Welcome. I understand from a friend in Montreal that you have some amazing beer festivals over there.

Last edited:
What part you from? Im on the west coast...Vancouver Island...and welcome
I'm just over the mountains in Alberta.I'm a little jealous, in my experience BC breweries are a heck of a lot more refined than most of the ones over here. Love the stuff out of Phillips, Persephone, Driftwood, Russel, and Twin Sails.

Thanks for the kind words folks!

Hi I was over in Canada a couple of years ago and it looked like home brewing is quite popular out there is that the case.

I'm just over the mountains in Alberta.I'm a little jealous, in my experience BC breweries are a heck of a lot more refined than most of the ones over here. Love the stuff out of Phillips, Persephone, Driftwood, Russel, and Twin Sails.

Thanks for the kind words folks!

If you get back this way...you must try some from Hoyne Brewing. My fave is Dark Matter...it is outstanding!

Re:> An Ankou.
Interesting point about beers changing.
My Grandfather born 1900 was allways going on about beer not being the same or as good as in his youth.As a young man at the time i did not belive him and put such comments down to his age.

Looking back it does now seem commercial beers and lagers DID hit a bit of a low point in the 1970s.
If I had to make a guess I would say it may stem from the shortages of ww2 and years of post war rationing the public then got used to "alcoholic fizzy water".

Re:> An Ankou.
Interesting point about beers changing.
My Grandfather born 1900 was allways going on about beer not being the same or as good as in his youth.As a young man at the time i did not belive him and put such comments down to his age.

Looking back it does now seem commercial beers and lagers DID hit a bit of a low point in the 1970s.
If I had to make a guess I would say it may stem from the shortages of ww2 and years of post war rationing the public then got used to "alcoholic fizzy water".
Getting rid of cask ale and hand pumps didn't help.

I love when I am in GB and get to experience the real ales. The variety is quite remarkable.

Just watched (well, last night) a documentary about Montreal -Un été à Montréal on TV5 Monde. It looks an amazing place and everybody's so chilled. Hope there's some decent beer over there as I've just moved Montréal to the top of my bucket list.

Welcome to the forum! This probably won't be a great deal of use to you but I know a couple of places on Toronto which do really good cask ales and British styles. When I was over there last I was really impressed with how the beer scene had moved on over the past few years. There was a huge range of styles. I then went to NYC and yeah, was less impressed as everywhere was sour beers, IPAs and imperial pastry stouts.

A well made English Bitter is a thing of Beauty....

Simple recipe, concentrate on the Process, make your own invert sugar (#2) and over pitch.....

Hi, welcome to the forum. Looking forward to hearing about some great Canadian brews and recipes to try.

Latest posts

Back