Hello from central Scotland

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kveik Freak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been lurking here a while, thought I should drop in and say hi.

Beer and brewing has interested me for ages, but I live in a smallish flat with few means to control fermentation temperatures. So I thought this would be something I'd do in the far future if at all.

Then, sometime during lock down, I discovered Kveik is a thing! And I had an old tea urn a friend gave me, so.... I took the plunge and built a kit.

I've been at it now for nearly 2 months and am presently brewing my 10th batch. I'm only doing 3-4 litres a time, dialling in my processes and SMaSHing all the things. I have previous experience working in a microbiology lab, so yeast culture isn't too much of a challenge. The strain library in my freezer is growing nicely. Presently I'm experimenting with hopping schedules since kveiks tend to accentuate hop flavours and I like subtlety. Next up is single decoction mashing vs step mashing and decoction mashing.

Once I can make a decent Scottish light ale and a pseudolager I hope to move on to interpretations of some continental styles. A few years ago I spent time working in Belgium and was seriously impressed by their brewing and beer culture. I also do medieval reenactment and hope to do some raw ales and gruit ales at some point. So much potential for tasty brewing!

This website has been fantastic, there is so much good information here! So thank you all very much.

Been lurking here a while, thought I should drop in and say hi.

Beer and brewing has interested me for ages, but I live in a smallish flat with few means to control fermentation temperatures. So I thought this would be something I'd do in the far future if at all.

Then, sometime during lock down, I discovered Kveik is a thing! And I had an old tea urn a friend gave me, so.... I took the plunge and built a kit.

I've been at it now for nearly 2 months and am presently brewing my 10th batch. I'm only doing 3-4 litres a time, dialling in my processes and SMaSHing all the things. I have previous experience working in a microbiology lab, so yeast culture isn't too much of a challenge. The strain library in my freezer is growing nicely. Presently I'm experimenting with hopping schedules since kveiks tend to accentuate hop flavours and I like subtlety. Next up is single decoction mashing vs step mashing and decoction mashing.

Once I can make a decent Scottish light ale and a pseudolager I hope to move on to interpretations of some continental styles. A few years ago I spent time working in Belgium and was seriously impressed by their brewing and beer culture. I also do medieval reenactment and hope to do some raw ales and gruit ales at some point. So much potential for tasty brewing!

This website has been fantastic, there is so much good information here! So thank you all very much.

That's awesome that you have have already started collecting yeast strains. Welcome!

Nice post. Considering your temp situation, an attempt at a Belgian strong may suit you since you can let the yeast temp rise to attain some of the Belgian yeast characteristics. Just start the wort off pretty cool at pitching time.

Nice post. Considering your temp situation, an attempt at a Belgian strong may suit you since you can let the yeast temp rise to attain some of the Belgian yeast characteristics. Just start the wort off pretty cool at pitching time.

Mmmm.. don't tempt me... I'm also thinking about a very banana-ey hefeweisen :P

Latest posts

Back