Hello from Elgin Moray

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, Been brewing beer & wine off & on for the last 50 years,(kits) more off than on due to work commitments, got more time to brew now and more time to drink it. There were no online forums back in the day, so this is pretty cool. just bottled up a rajas revenge and a Pinot Grigio rose for the missus.

Welcome to the forum Johnny

cheers:

I like the Ham radio set up it'll be interesting to see if any members are operators.

1659788241689.png

Thanks for the welcome guys, things have came on a long way since I started, I`ve picked up a few good tips reading the posts. Sadly our local HB shop (Bootleggers) in Elgin is going to close soon.

Sadly our local HB shop (Bootleggers) in Elgin is going to close soon.

Sadly there are many such posts in the forums and closures seem to be getting more frequent we have a Wilko and Range store that sell the basics so i can get kits etc i would love to be able to visit a local home brew shop but the nearest one is many miles away.

Chippy, the shop thats closing has been doing homebrew for over 50 years, but he said that online purchasing is killing it, funnily enough, its part of a dispensing chemists, the shops getting a revamp and update soon and he is stopping the homebrew side of it.

Chippy, the shop thats closing has been doing homebrew for over 50 years, but he said that online purchasing is killing it, funnily enough, its part of a dispensing chemists, the shops getting a revamp and update soon and he is stopping the homebrew side of it.

We have a very small health food shop in town that used to sell a few small items FV's, Demijohns, hydrometers, yeast, yeast nutrient and a few beer and wine kits but the range was very limited they didn't advertise which didn't help and we only found out by accident as SWMBO went in for something else one day and saw the HB stuff this was 4 years ago i would be surprised if they are still selling it now.

Hi Johnny and CJV8. I'm also quite near you both, in Forres. Is that Ritchies Chemist you're talking about Johnny? I'd no idea about it's homebrew credentials until I found a brand new fermenting vessel with one of their price stickers on it in Forres Wastebusters. Not sure if you are aware but, apart from The Range, Farm and Household in Inverness carry a reasonable range of stuff. They will also deliver free for orders over £50, though I'd check that on the phone first as it seems a bit to good to be true.

Hi Mick, I`m not sure about Ritchies Chemists, but the one I know of is The Bishopmill Pharmacy Bishopmill Pharmacy Website Directions Save Call - Google Search

Heres a photo the Chemist shop on facebook

It is mostly Ritchies Homebrew stuff that the Elgin chemist sells, so maybe thats where the price sticker with Ritchies came from. I knew about Farm and Household in Inverness but I ain`t been in there since I started brewing again, I`ve been buying online from "I Love Brewing" it a minimum of £84.00 for free delivery, but they have a good collection of equipment etc.

Hi Rod, thanks for that, I bought a Wilko Cerveza kit this week after reading about your kit, I also bought a 500gr of DME, I can`t find the post about it again, did you just add the DME and a Kilo of sugar, is there any need to boil or reduce the sugar.

Hi Johnny and CJV8. I'm also quite near you both, in Forres. Is that Ritchies Chemist you're talking about Johnny? I'd no idea about it's homebrew credentials until I found a brand new fermenting vessel with one of their price stickers on it in Forres Wastebusters. Not sure if you are aware but, apart from The Range, Farm and Household in Inverness carry a reasonable range of stuff. They will also deliver free for orders over £50, though I'd check that on the phone first as it seems a bit to good to be true.
I see its mostly Youngs products he sells now

I see its mostly Youngs products he sells now
What a shame, judging by the photo, that's a pretty major source we're losing. And I didn't even realise it was there. I can even see the fermenting bucket I bought for £3 at Ghostbusters. I might nip through later and see what he's got left.

What a shame, judging by the photo, that's a pretty major source we're losing. And I didn't even realise it was there. I can even see the fermenting bucket I bought for £3 at Ghostbusters. I might nip through later and see what he's got left.
Alistair, the chemist who owns the shop brews himself, but he`s probably letting the stock run down now he`s planning on giving it the chop, I think he has a few kits reduced too.

Back