Hello from Gloucestershire!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redfoot

Reaction score
My name's Tom. I have never brewed beer at home before! I love beer and was once the son of an independent brewer in the 1990's. From 13 to 17 i was surrounded by beer making. However, the extent of my knowledge is the basic process, I spent most of my time in the racking room, or sleeping it off on the Warminster Malt sacks!

I'm hear to learn from you, and have sneakily been lurking for some time watching the BrewTubers; this is my first venture into a beer making forum.

During the day, I work in Cyber Security, where I spend my time as an Ethical Hacker (good hacker), working to make the internet safe! What that mostly entails is dreaming about making beer and Bristol Rovers winning leagues.

I have bought a second hand brew kit, and am now procrastinating over whether I should just dive in or watch and learn some more?

Welcome to the forum thumb.

What that mostly entails is dreaming about making beer and Bristol Rovers winning leagues.

I have a feeling you will be making beer a lot sooner than watching your team win the league but you never know. (Leicester winning PL 2016 @ 5000 - 1)

I managed to get my hands on a grainfather g30 and conical fv, the nice chap who sold it to me also made a homemade glycol chiller.

A few members have GF's so there will be plenty of advice should you need it.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to the forum. I'm with Gerryjo, just dive in and make some beer.

A few members have GF's so there will be plenty of advice should you need it.

I'm one of them. There's a good step by step guide on here on how to use the Grainfather. Also David Heath's videos on youtube are useful.

My name's Tom. I have never brewed beer at home before! I love beer and was once the son of an independent brewer in the 1990's. From 13 to 17 i was surrounded by beer making. However, the extent of my knowledge is the basic process, I spent most of my time in the racking room, or sleeping it off on the Warminster Malt sacks!

I'm hear to learn from you, and have sneakily been lurking for some time watching the BrewTubers; this is my first venture into a beer making forum.

During the day, I work in Cyber Security, where I spend my time as an Ethical Hacker (good hacker), working to make the internet safe! What that mostly entails is dreaming about making beer and Bristol Rovers winning leagues.

I have bought a second hand brew kit, and am now procrastinating over whether I should just dive in or watch and learn some more?
Greetings Tom, you'll be surprised how soon you can make ale you're proud of :-)

Hey redfoot,

Another Glostonian (?) checking in, just getting back into home brewing after moving down this way. Would be interested to know if you've found any good local shops for equipment/ingredients.

Hey Batman,

I think Glostonian is right, however even after 15 years here, I still tell people I'm from Brizzle :D

I went for the naïve, don't listen to anything anyone writes about grain crush approach and bought pre-milled pale from a place online, big mistake! I had to bale the wort out three times pre-boil and blow out the pump on the GF with cold water each time. The last time, I removed the false bottom and managed to sparge 20 litres of something that I boiled, and has been in the conical for 10 days. I might write up my first brew experience for others to learn from, although I suspect its been covered many a time.

Ill be transferring the recovered ale to keg tomorrow and am looking at where to buy CO2. John State services have 6.3KG for £17, but you have to pay £42 upfront for a year's rental of the bottle - you know of anywhere better local?

Tom

Latest posts

Back