Hello from Ireland

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irish1759

Reaction score
Hi from Ireland. Recently moved back to Ireland from West Yorkshire.
I recently picked up a brewing kit, which consists of the coopers fermenter and the plastic bottles. Havent got around to using it yet as waiting on some supplies to arrive to brew a lager and then a chocolate stout.
The kit did come with the VWP cleaner and steriliser. I am not sure what the best way to use it is to clean and sterilis the fermenter,bottles and other bits. I will get around to getting a no rinse sanitizer at some stage.

But in the meantime can anyone enlighten me on using VWP as couldnt find anything on YouTube.

Thanks,

Aidan

Welcome to the forum thumb.

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

Sterilising is imperitive when brewing as any unwanted bacteria can ruin a brew and make it undrinkable.

VWP Cleaner and Steriliser is a combination of chemicals that clean and sterilise in one operation.

This 400g pot will make up to 120 gallons of solution.

Simply disolve 1 tsp (teaspoon) in a gallon of water (2 tsp for heavily soiled containers), pour into the vessel to be sterilised, coat all surfaces in the solution and leave for 10 minutes (longer for heavy soiling). Rinse thoroughly with clean cold tap water.

VWP can also be used to clean teapots, glassware, mugs, fridges, dishwashers, flasks, chopping boards, toothbrushes and lots, lots more.

https://www.brewbitz.com/products/v...n a gallon of water,with clean cold tap water.

Last edited:
can anyone enlighten me on using VWP
Hi @irish1759, welcome to the forum, just to add to @Chippy_Tea's advise, you need to mix this thoroughly as little particles will stay in your fermenter etc and that's not good.

Do I need to fill the fermenter up with water to the top or just 1/4 way and given it a good shake
Fill with a quarter and shake it around, don't use anything abrasive to clean with i.e. a scouring pad etc

But in the meantime can anyone enlighten me on using VWP as couldnt find anything on YouTube.
Aren't there any instructions on the packet / tub?
As Chippy says, it's an excellent cleaner. I mix it up with warm water and leave it overnight in an FV and all the buits I want to clean and sterilise. I even chuck my beer glasses in there if they're getting a bit hard to polish up.
What is important is that you rinse thoroughly to get rid of all the surfactant and any residual chlorine before you use it for brewing. I give mine a rinse with a bit of sodium metabisulphate solution to get rid of any vestiges of chlorine.
No rinse stuff is not the same. It's a lightweight sanitiser that some brewers use just to be sure. It's not a cleaner. It's about as useful as making the SIgn of the Cross before trying to cross a motorway in a blizzard, but each to his own.

Last edited:
Do I need to fill the fermenter up with water to the top or just 1/4 way and given it a good shake

I use Milton sterilising tablets, i fill the washing up bowl to the top with warm water and add two tablets i put all the equipment that will fit into the bowl and them pour a couple of litres into the FV put the top on and swirl the fluid so it covers all surfaces i leave it 7 minutes then do the same again its done its job at 15 minutes and lasts for 24 hours, its a no rinse sanitiser so i don't rinse but the jury is out on whether beer brewers should rinse or not.

Many members use the non scented OXY cleaners to clean.

1593613699230.png

Thanks guys for the help, I received some bits in the post this morning as I'll get cleaning and sanitzing today. Hopefully get my first brew on tomorrow

Back