Hello from Kiel, Germany

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kristoffer

Reaction score
Hello from the capital of the northest german state.

My name is Kristoffer and i am 37. I am homebrewing since about 3 years now, and only english styles (no IPA yet ;) ). My main task is to make ales with full malty taste and i try to not use a hell load of hops. I create 90% of my reciped myself allways having the old times 18XX - 1970s in mind. After using german malt for about half years i switched then to Warminster malt to 100%. Also a main goal of my brews is, that i create a recipe around my local Water (nearly as bad a as London :D). The only thing i use to get my PH right is milk acid. The rest is crystal and roasted malts. The only hops i use are East Kent Goldings and Fuggle so far. Maybe in the far future ill try something else but since East Kent Goldings is such a lovely hop for my taste i see no reason yet. My so far knowledge i got from numerous books of Ron Pattinson, which are realy great. I hope to improve my knowledge and get into touch with other homebrewers here. I visited England (Eastbourne) 3 times in the late 90s for schooling. I was a lovely time and i miss it. So much for me :) cheers!

I visited Kiel for a school trip around about the early/mid 90’s. It was a lovely city, everyone was into this show called Man o Mann or something and there was a curfew for school aged kids which was a culture shock. I stayed with a nice family on an exchange and remember things being expensive.

Hi Kristoffer, welcome to the forum! I used to live near Eastbourne so I know that part of the world well.

Nice to see you using UK hops and making some old British beers. I agree goldings and fuggles are great and also recommend Challenger, First Gold hops and Brambling Cross if you feel the urge to try something else at some stage. You probably know this, but Graham Wheeler wrote some good books on brewing British beers.

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

I visited Kiel for a school trip around about the early/mid 90’s. It was a lovely city, everyone was into this show called Man o Mann or something and there was a curfew for school aged kids which was a culture shock. I stayed with a nice family on an exchange and remember things being expensive.
Ha Mann o Mann :D yeah i know. My "Show" in my last time in Eastbourne was Star Wars Episode I i watched 15 times in Cinema :D . Yeah Germany was a bit more expensive in the past... ;)

Hi Kristoffer, welcome to the forum! I used to live near Eastbourne so I know that part of the world well.

Nice to see you using UK hops and making some old British beers. I agree goldings and fuggles are great and also recommend Challenger, First Gold hops and Brambling Cross if you feel the urge to try something else at some stage. You probably know this, but Graham Wheeler wrote some good books on brewing British beers.

Hi Dave,
Eastbourne is such a beautiful place to be. Will go there when i visit Britain again after covid !

I got Bram X in my freezer ... never used it ;D but i will surely. I heard about Graham. Never read ab book of him. But who knows . If i am trough Rons collection ...:)
Yeah the good old British ales should not be lost. Its allways funny to see when my fellow Pilsener drinkers taste my Brews :D Its like a new world to them .

Willkommen Kristoffer. Thanks for the introduction. I like the sound of the brewing goals you set yourself. There is a lot of scope there to come up with some interesting beers. I look forward to hearing about what you come up with.

Back