Hello from North East Scotland

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lightbodyae55

Reaction score
Hi

I am introducing myself. My forum name is lightbodyae55, and now live in North East Scotland, 15 miles from our nearest big town of Elgin Moray.

Many years ago (late 1980s) a Home-brew shop opened in the Norfolk town I was living in at that time. I started with wine kits (6 bottle kits) and one of the best I thought at the time was a kit by Boots the chemist called Hedgerow, it was a very nice fruity wine almost like a light red or rose wine. Unfortunately this Hedgerow kit is no longer available from Boots.

I must admit I do prefer a nice white wine as opposed to a red one, so I tend to make more white kits than anything else.

I than went onto making my own wines using fruits grown in the gardens locally, and then topping up with a grape juice and then using one of the better yeasts, (don’t remember the name now) and any other ingredient needed to make the wine.

I also started making liqueur kits from Prohibition and tried quite a few of them, Southern Mist, Coconut Rum, Coffee Rum, Apricot Brandy and Peach Schnapps. The one I preferred was Peach Schnapps my wife at that time preferred Apricot Brandy and Coffee Rum.

I also tried some beer from kits and when finished brewing barrelled it rather than bottling it. I must admit I was not keen on the beer, maybe it was the kits I was using not that I can remember the kits names. (63 years young now).

Then I sold all my home-brew equipment back in late 2002 as I moved abroad early 2003. Moved back to the UK in 2010 and moved to Scotland in 2011 and took up home brew again.

I have tried a number of kits again and have found the one I like best is California Connoisseur and I have made a number of them. One of the worst I tried during this Pandemic as it was the only one available from one of the online stores I use was called WineBuddy, and once made it tasted foul, and it went down the sink and the second box went straight in the bin without being opened, never again will I buy a cheap kit. I have a Beaverdale Gewurztraminer kit on the go at present so it will be interesting to see how this compares to California Connoisseur.

When I found this forum I was researching to see if the Prohibition kits are likely to be available again, and I found a thread that said that Ritchie Products had been taken over by another company, Bevie I think it was and researching the new company name I got the impression that Prohibition kits will not be available anytime in the future.

If that is the case does anyone have a suggestion on how to make a great Peach Schnapps from a decent kit as I am running out of this great tasting liqueur.

Please be kind to this newbie as this is my first post on this forum.

lightbodyae55

lightbodyae55

Another warm welcome from the lowlands of central Scotland, lovely place Elgin and I almost ended up working there years ago when it was a choice between Elgin and Stirling. Long long time since I tried peach schnapps - memories of student nights out - I'd be tempted to make it using a standard recipe but skip the water and use a home brewed clear wash akin to the hard seltzer approach:
https://www.thespruceeats.com/peach-liqueur-recipe-1807072
Anna

Back