Hello from North Yorks

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Graham,
Here's the Henry Bentley & Co One X Mild from 1893 ,
Give me a message if you need any clarification , or help reading my handwriting!!.
Still working on sourcing the ingredients for you ,
Cheers
Edd
IMG_20180120_010145.jpg
IMG_20180120_010124.jpg

Hi , the 1.032° in the hops & boil section, refers to the gravity of the wort 10 mins before adding the sugars . An OG of @ 1.046° when adding the late/ stand hops and, at pitching in !,
Cheers Edd

Last edited:
Hi Dutto ,
The temperature's in Fahrenheit because that's just one of my things !! , but the 2.700 g/ litre (or whichever ratio is given) thing is the easiest , or most accurate way of expressing a grist to liquor ratio in a homebrew environment , as the original would be in barrels per quarter of malt , which doesn't always fall easily when reduced in size , eg : X company's Mild Ale with Pale , Mild , and Amber & Crystal Malts @ 27.4 quarters would be calculated thus; Pale @ 15 quarters, Mild @10 quarters=25q, 50 Barrels = 2.5 p/q , then convert to metric and there's the ratio !! (Adjuncts & Coloured malts not part of the calculations for ratio purposes),
Hope that helps,
Cheers
Edd

Translating anything from 1893 measures to the modern day HAS to be a labour of love, so well done.

May I suggest that you go the whole hog and metricise everything? Using recipes from America and sorting out the variations between US v. UK Imperial v. Metric volume measurements and Imperial v. Metric weight measurements is a real pain; and a constant source for the realisation of Murphy's First Law!:laugh:

Hi Dutto ,
It's just a force of habit thing with the Imperial measurements thing , as most , if not all of the old brewing records that I've seen are in imperial speak !! , Quarters & Bushels of malt , Cwts of sugar , and lbs of hops ; gravity oh what fun I've had with that one!; Brewers Pounds per barrel , and ° , one Brewery I've seen records for { Peter Walker & Sons , Dallam Lane Brewery, Warrington } were , rather annoyingly using both !!
I'll try and remember to pop the stuff in metric on future posts , but if I don't , all imperial measurement values mentioned are, UK ones ,
Thanks for the suggestion,
Cheers
Edd

Try working out a load for a tanker! The Blender runs in UK gallons per minute, the intermediate Tanks are rated in UK Barrels per inch, the Jetty operates on Imperial Tons and the Tanker Captain wants his Loading Ticket in Metric Tonnes!

Oh, and you only have a Slide Rule and the Conversion Tables are contained in a book that is about 3 inches thick!:thumb1:Happy Days!:laugh:

Hi All ,
Just to let you know that i`ve posted an 1893 recipe for the X Porter from Henry Bentley`s Eshaldwell Brewery @ Woddlesford in the Old Beers and Brewing Thread on here ,
Cheers Edd

Edd yup sorry I'll need to check in with you regards the heating profiles for the mashing as I'm a bit stuck there. Ordered 25 Kg of the pale malt so the bits are coming in slowly ...
Thanks again for the receipe - I think the first brew attempt will be on the 12th Feb at this rate so ...

Edd yup sorry I'll need to check in with you regards the heating profiles for the mashing as I'm a bit stuck there. Ordered 25 Kg of the pale malt so the bits are coming in slowly ...
Thanks again for the receipe - I think the first brew attempt will be on the 12th Feb at this rate so ...
How Do ,
No probs , just pop me a message as and when you get all the kit together , I`ll respond as quickly as I can ,
Cheers
Edd

Latest posts

Back