Hello from Northern Ireland.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am also Belfast based. Brew bot is a sound pub, as is the woodworkers next to laverys. My first ever batch is in the fermenter at the moment. It was brew bot and woodworkers that inspired me!

it is a great hobby. I only started last year when my wife got me a surprise Christmas present of a homebrew kit! homebrew was never on my radar before but I have really got the bug now.

Just started a welsh red ale tonight and have my Christmas ales maturing nicely for december:thumb:

It obviously takes quite a bit longer than adding water to a kit but it is quite straight forward to do. Well, as long as you don't forget to add the yeast or leave half your wort in the pan! :whistle:

Bottled my first AG yesterday and the sample I had was really nice. Three empty FVs now so trying to decide what to make next.

Just took a first sample after 6 days fermenting at close to target temperature. Gravity a bit high at 1020. It tastes ok but looks like caramel/toffee sauce. Not like any beer I have ever seen? Is this normal? Will it clear? It's an IPA and probably short of target volume by a couple of litres. Any ideas? Do I just let it settle for longer?

If it's a 5l batch try cold crashing in the fridge for a week or you could add gelatin (I've never tried this last point). My first brew ended with protein clumps like egg soup, it still didn't stop me drinking it :)

Welcome to the World of AG. There must be hundreds converted to AG thanks to that post by Clibit. I certainly didn't have a clue how to do it until I seen the thread.

Mine looked like cloudy cider when I bottled yesterday but looks like it is starting to clear a bit already. I would think after fermentation has finished and you have bottled and conditioned it for a couple of weeks, your beer will be much more clear. What malt did you use and did you strain the break out when transferring to the FV?

One thing Clibit said in his thread which I think was wrong was squeezing the death out of the bag. It's OK to give a light squeeze but you don't want any of the husk in your beer. It will settle with time and why cold crashing prior to bottling helps. You won't suffer as much if you do bigger batches, the numbers are also easier to hit.

its a 5 gallon batch, so won't fit in kitchen fridge and haven't got my brew fridge set up yet, as still looking for a tall larder fridge. My worry is that it looks more milky than cloudy- pic attached

image.jpg

Surprised it hasn't fell out of the glass :D

That does look strange, does it taste OK? What was the recipe? I brewed a wheat once that was very cloudy, even though wheat's were meant to be cloudy, this was overly so. I've had loads of clarity issues over my AG brews but never had anything looking like that. It looks like Eggnog TBH.

Egg nog, yeah It does doesn't it! Supposed to be an American IPA. Tastes fine. Had quite a high starting gravity of 1060. Will see how it goes over next week, not sure what else to do!

Just looking at that photo, I don't think chilling will clear it. Maybe worth it's own thread? If it's drinkable then drink it, I know I've drank worse!

not tonight but might show my face once ive got a couple of brews under my belt- that's the one on the N'ards road isnt it? do many people go?

not tonight but might show my face once ive got a couple of brews under my belt- that's the one on the N'ards road isnt it? do many people go?

Not sure how many go as this will be my first time going. I think it's on the Belmont road? But the Brewshop is on the Newtownards Road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back