Hello from Oxfordshire

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rochefort

Reaction score
Hi,

Just a quick hello from Banburyshire - I have been a homebrewer for over twelve years, a member of the Oxford Brewers group for about ten and a fan of artisan beer for considerably longer.

I enjoy brewing Belgian and German beer styles, but also brew a lot of pale ales, stouts and porters. I also maintain a yeast bank of a few strains that I use regularly and have got to know very well, hopefully I can pass on any useful tips on those to others and perhaps discover a few other interesting brews from the members of this forum.

Looking forward to being part of the community, thanks for letting me in.

-Rochefort

Welcome Rochefort. What have you been brewing recently? I'm fond of German styles too (and Belgian, but they tend to be too strong for my mighty thirst).

Welcome Rochefort. What have you been brewing recently? I'm fond of German styles too (and Belgian, but they tend to be too strong for my mighty thirst).

Hi there,

I have two German beers in maturation at the moment, a Hefeweizen and a Rauchbier/smoked Marzen that is about 2 weeks from finishing off and kegging.

It was actually great to have such cold ground water here in England last month, it made getting the Rauch wort to 11C really easy using an immersion chiller. I'd brew nothing but Belgian and German beer, but as you pointed out the Belgians are not session beers and it takes over a month to lager the alternatives.

What have you been making?

What have you been making?
Let me say to start with, that Schlenkerla Marzen is one of my favourite beers. I used to brew it my interpretation, but quite frankly I can get four 5-litre party kegs for a single delivery charge so I drink the proper stuff. I'm sat having a beer and designing a recipe at this very moment. Earlier I fancied a really rich, but quaffable stout of around 4.5% abv and had all sorts of ideas of what to put in it. Just putting together the final touches and of something with half barley malt and half wheat malt and all the dark components- crystal and black(ish) done with wheat. Was going to throw in a touch of golden naked oats, but have thought better of it.

A stout for St Patrick's day, sounds ideal! I was in Burgundy a few years ago on St Pats day and they were making stout/champagne cocktails in the bars. What a waste of a good stout.

Seems we have similar brewing interests - I will hopefully sort out a local North Oxon/Banburyshire meeting later this year, might be good to meet up then.

I'm in Bicestershire.

I tend to brew darker, maltier brews; stouts, porter, dark lager and a couple of Belgians to date.

Count me in for local shenanigans when we are allowed.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back