Hello from South Wales

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ade1982

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

I've made a few posts, so I thought it was bad form not to introduce myself.

I've just started on beer kits, and I am on my third kit. Motivated by the wish to make something for myself and the minimum unit pricing for alcohol in Wales making supermarket stuff more expensive, so homebrew works out well as an experiment.

The first was dreadful, did literally everything wrong.

Second one is quite nice, forgot to take a OG reading, so I have no idea how strong it is, apart from the hangover after 3 of them on the weekend.

Third one has a very low reading yesterday, 1004. Looking like 5% job. Just bought further kits.

I used this forum to educate myself first, so medium lurker!

Afternoon all,

I've made a few posts, so I thought it was bad form not to introduce myself.

I've just started on beer kits, and I am on my third kit. Motivated by the wish to make something for myself and the minimum unit pricing for alcohol in Wales making supermarket stuff more expensive, so homebrew works out well as an experiment.

The first was dreadful, did literally everything wrong.

Second one is quite nice, forgot to take a OG reading, so I have no idea how strong it is, apart from the hangover after 3 of them on the weekend.

Third one has a very low reading yesterday, 1004. Looking like 5% job. Just bought further kits.

I used this forum to educate myself first, so medium lurker!

Which part of South Wales butt.

Don't buy much supermarket beer but thought that only effected the cheap super strength stuff? All the craft stuff stayed the same price

Merthyr Tydfil. Valleys boy 🤪

It's all sorts from the Carlsbergs to the Stellas. Regularly in England Carling is a tenner, here it's a min £15.85. Even things like Estrella seem to have gone much more expensive.

Welcome to the forum. Not quite the valleys down here in the gateway city of Newport but we also feel the pinch from the alcohol limit.

It's all sorts from the Carlsbergs to the Stellas. Regularly in England Carling is a tenner, here it's a min £15.85. Even things like Estrella seem to have gone much more expensive.
The formula for minimum price is MUP (£0.5) x Strength (%) x Volume (litres) = minimum price at which it can be sold. So, a 5%ABV 440ml can of would 0.5x 5 x 0.44 = £1.10. I've no idea how much Stella or Carsberg cost, but decent beer is a lot more than that.

Bore da from Abertawe!

Hello and welcome to the forum. Enjoy. I’m doing kits too. 6 x beers, 1 x Cider and 1 x White Wine kit. All turned out great. I recommend the Mangrove Jacks Craft series kits.

Thanks all for the warm welcome. It seems like a lively forum.

I have just ordered my first Mangrove Jack's kit. I think it might be my next one.

Hi from Llanelli. Been lurking these forums for a few weeks reading up on all the vast knowledge here. Planning my first brew day tomorrow

Welcome to the forum from the capital city lol. A lot of invaluable advice from the forum members since joined

Hi from Llanelli. Been lurking these forums for a few weeks reading up on all the vast knowledge here. Planning my first brew day tomorrow

We went over to St Elli's Pier on the weekend, for the first time ever. Made a change from the Mumbles, which is currently overrun with people!

Welcome to the forum from the capital city lol. A lot of invaluable advice from the forum members since joined
There looks to be a healthy amount of people from Caerdyyd here, looking on the other boards!

Latest posts

Back