Hello from the Highlands

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Please

Reaction score
Hi All. Beer drinker from the Scottish Highlands.. thats me on the left.
New to home brewing. Using basic brew kits for a start with intention of going all grain once I’m comfortable with the process.

I’ve have managed 3 brews so far. IPA & APA’s.
1st one was spot on 😁.
Foolishly thought I had cracked it…next 2 went down the drain 🥲.

So I’m pretty sure the last one picked up an infection. Not a great aroma from it.

Thought that my cleaning and sterilisation procedures were good but that infection came from somewhere right?
Using a non rinse steriliser but wondered if there was a particular product that members recommend. Maybe the sort of thing that would be in a spray bottle which you can give your hands, contact surfaces etc a bit of a spray to be sure everything is sterile.
Something alcohol based maybe?

Look forward to learning from your collective experience.
and thanks for the add 👍🏻.

Welcome!!!

That's a shame. I just scrub everything with soft non-abrasive brushes then rinse, twice, then sterilise everything with sodium percarbonate for 20 minutes, swishing everything around every 5 minutes.

Just a quick thought, is the temperature of your kit right when you add the yeast, are you getting a reasonable lag time (12-24 hours) and then a nice steady constant rate of fermentation? One of the best things you can do for any home brewing is temperature control. I use an immersion heater, and warp my fermenting buckets in silver-backed bubble wrap to prevent heat loss.

Welcome!!!

That's a shame. I just scrub everything with soft non-abrasive brushes then rinse, twice, then sterilise everything with sodium percarbonate for 20 minutes, swishing everything around every 5 minutes.

Just a quick thought, is the temperature of your kit right when you add the yeast, are you getting a reasonable lag time (12-24 hours) and then a nice steady constant rate of fermentation? One of the best things you can do for any home brewing is temperature control. I use an immersion heater, and warp my fermenting buckets in silver-backed bubble wrap to prevent heat loss.
Hi, thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I was quite particular with my temp control. Fermentation was steady throughout. I have a good spot in my bathroom to sit my FV. Its out of direct sunlight and maintains 20-22c.
I have another kit ordered and am consuming as much information as possible and keeping my fingers crossed for this brew 🤞🏻

Is a bathroom a good place to brew? I have a friend who brews in a corner of his bathroom and has not reported a problem - but I had two brews fail in mine, so its back to the over crowded utility room now.

😆😆 My house is small, but my bathroom is large and the FV is no where near the toilet, but point taken. its just the perfect temperature in there 🤷🏻‍♂️
Can anyone advise on the use of an immersion heater…?

hehe... remember that you are creating the perfect medium and perfect temperature to grow micro bugs!

The whole point is to create that perfect environment and make absolutely sure that the only 'bug' to get into your wort is the yeast.

It is always impossible to be absolutely *sterile*, that would require a professional grade lab, the best you can hope for is *sanitary*.

These are two different things. So really, you are always playing a numbers game. The idea being that you get the yeast to make enough alcohol that the wort becomes hostile to other bugs.

If you are that restricted on space, I would suggest cleaning and ventilating your space thoroughly before starting and before every time you do anything, and perhaps making an enclosure or a cover for the fermentation bucket?

Basically do everything you possibly can to keep the risk of infection as low as possible.

Don't be too quick to throw your beer down the drain. 20-22 is at the top of the limit for many yeasts and they can get a bit smelly. Try getting the temp down to 18-19. There's no good reason at all why you shouldn't use the bathroom, if it's cool enough. Try adding a couple of teaspoonsful of yeast nutrient.

Back