Hello from the Midlands

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Belos

Reaction score
Just put on my first ever brew and I feel like a kid at Xmas.
I have started a festival razerback kit and can't wait to try it.
I have done alot reading on here before I got the kit, so thanks to you all for all tips
Just 1 question... I'm getting temperature fluctuations between 19 and 24 even though I'm using a water bath..will This be ok for my brew?

Your first mistake is over thinking temperature fluctuations this time of year.yeast are perfectly happy at around 20C and shouldn't need a water bath,my conicle is sitting presently on day 3 at 19.5C in the central heated dining room.I've been brewing over 45 years and never water bathed and only had one spoiled brew

Yes Im using that setup terrym . Measuring using a digi aquarium thermometer. I have it in my conservatory as no room in house, no hearing in there so thought water bath was a good idea. It gets warmish in the day atm then drops off at night, as it would in un heated glass house.
Thanks for input guys

As in many things brewing we play with the cards we are dealt. So if the conservatory is the only place for your FV, that's it, and you seem to have made the best of it. However if it gets much hotter than 24*C (say in the warmer months) for long periods you will be on the upper limits for most yeasts excluding saison yeasts which will happily perform up to the high 20s. Your solutions in warmer weather, if you only have the conservatory, is to not brew at all at these times like some homebrewers, or fix yourself up with a brewfridge which will give you better temperature control than a water bath and can be used year round.

I'm aiming for a brew fridge for the warmer months, if swmbo will allow it lol.
I'm gonna try n get a fair few brews in before that just in case. My next one is already bought for when the razerback is finished.
Thanks for the info terrym athumb..

Latest posts

Back