Hello from the sunny south coast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abeamer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Been told to get a hobby to get out from underneath the wife's feet. so something I can do, make and consume in the bat cave is ideal.

Never brewed before so any advice would be well received.

Hi all,

Been told to get a hobby to get out from underneath the wife's feet. so something I can do, make and consume in the bat cave is ideal.

Never brewed before so any advice would be well received.
My advice (which is where I started) is to have a good read of John Palmer's 'How to Brew' it's free on-line or available in paper form, about a tenner I think. What you need to do is build a mental filter to allow you to read this forum and filter out all the baloney from the good stuff! 🙂 And then find a process that works for you.

Hi All
Just started home brewing first couple ales now I’m hooked. But only problem wife likes it too lol.
where is best to get recipes for beer or is there good book to buy.
Any help be gratefully received.
Thank you

Hi Greg
What’s IMO . It’s bit cold here in Maidstone,not sure where the sun gone but beer going down treat .

Hi All
Just started home brewing first couple ales now I’m hooked. But only problem wife likes it too lol.
where is best to get recipes for beer or is there good book to buy.
Any help be gratefully received.
Thank you
I like 'CAMRA'S Brew your own British Real Ale' by Graham Wheeler. Another favorite is 'Home Brew Beer' by Greg Hughes. Both have a lot of good recipes to start you off assuming British beer styles are what you are looking for. It's also worth downloading the DIY Dog recipe book from Brew Dog if you like modern beer styles. I also use BeerSmith s/w and that comes with a huge library of recipes, but you kind of have to know what you are looking for, so the books are a better place to start & contain a lot of generally useful info.

Last edited:
Great thank you so so much, just into British bitters, made lager and cider and that’s gone down treat .

Hi Greg
I’ve got very old ginger beer recipe from 1800 if you ever want it.

Welcome. I started back in December. I am just doing Kits. The quality of the kits is amazing and the beer is far nicer than anything available in the local boozer. I have made a few kits now and got great advice from this forum. YouTube is also a great place to visit. There are hundreds of Videos to help you get started.
My lady friend (Wife) hates when I am starting the kits and bottling the beer. She claims that I leave an awful mess behind and it's a bit of a faff. In my defense I always wash the Kitchen floor afterwards and leave the place gleaming. But she is right, it is a faff. But a very enjoyable faff. And the fruits of the labour make the whole faff very worthwhile.

Hi from another Poole dweller! I am returning to brewing, used to make a lot of wine but now looking towards small batch beer and cider. Currently have some kombucha, ginger beer and apple cider vinegar under way but planning some beer and cider before long.
PS just joined about half an hour ago!

My suggestion read a lot, visit your local home brew shop and start with a simple kit. Join homebrew club if there's one nearby and or find someone to "brew with " when you get started. A problem shared is a problem halved.
You'll have a lot of fun .

Back