Hello from The Vale of Glamorgan!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you modify your water?

• Yes it makes a huge difference

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • No i haven't tried that

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • I tried it but it wasn't worth it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No my waters perfect

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • No i only brew with Perrier

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sambill

Reaction score
I think i've been a member for over a year but not said too much. I've been using the site regularly, it seems to pop up in google searches all the time when i ask questions about home brewing.

I used to brew beer kits and somehow talked myself into cider making 2 seasons ago after seeing my neighbour chucking out 2 garden bags of apples. Built a cider press that's now as tall as me and probably about efficient as a wooden post and bucket. Further modifications are planned.

I brewed quite a bit last season, the tastiest being one that i let naturally ferment. I'm not really a big fan of cider and home brew stuff, without artificial sweetners, always seems so dry and acidic.

Anyhow, after the season was over last year i cleared space in the garage and finally got some all grain bits together. A friend from work had sold me on how good AG tastes at his annual beer fest. I did a small SMASH, the basic recipe and method off this site, turned out amazing, so fresh, i was utterly sold. I had a friend do my first 5 gallon batch with me, an imperial stout. Turned out lovely too.

So there we go.

I want to learn. I need to tweak my techniques. You people are clearly great! If there's anyone in the Rhoose area who wants to share home brews or even split orders with Malt Miller, let me know :)

I've got a [SMATH] dry hopping in the fermenter fridge - Maris Otter, Carapils, Citra and Idaho 7.

Brew day on Sunday, i'll most likely be doing a Black Sheep Bitter and Punk IPA clone.

Cheers!

Welcome! My father in law lives in Rhoose, not far from Barry Island.

I do modify my water with acid (CRS) and a Camden tablet as the water here in Norwich is rock hard. Can't say if it makes any difference as I've always done it.

Hello,

I'm going to The Vale Of Glamorgan for a stag do in a fortnight.

Regarding water, I've been treating it for about 3 months now. As @Norfolk79 has said, I'm not sure how big a difference it makes - but it is noticeable. A good brewer could make great beer with less than perfect water; a ***** brewer would still make fire water with angel tears...

I think i've been a member for over a year but not said too much. I've been using the site regularly, it seems to pop up in google searches all the time when i ask questions about home brewing.

I used to brew beer kits and somehow talked myself into cider making 2 seasons ago after seeing my neighbour chucking out 2 garden bags of apples. Built a cider press that's now as tall as me and probably about efficient as a wooden post and bucket. Further modifications are planned.

I brewed quite a bit last season, the tastiest being one that i let naturally ferment. I'm not really a big fan of cider and home brew stuff, without artificial sweetners, always seems so dry and acidic.

Anyhow, after the season was over last year i cleared space in the garage and finally got some all grain bits together. A friend from work had sold me on how good AG tastes at his annual beer fest. I did a small SMASH, the basic recipe and method off this site, turned out amazing, so fresh, i was utterly sold. I had a friend do my first 5 gallon batch with me, an imperial stout. Turned out lovely too.

So there we go.

I want to learn. I need to tweak my techniques. You people are clearly great! If there's anyone in the Rhoose area who wants to share home brews or even split orders with Malt Miller, let me know :)

I've got a [SMATH] dry hopping in the fermenter fridge - Maris Otter, Carapils, Citra and Idaho 7.

Brew day on Sunday, i'll most likely be doing a Black Sheep Bitter and Punk IPA clone.

Cheers!
Interesting concept, Welsh cider. Having said that, my very favourite is made up on the road to Pontypridd from Llantrisant called Gwynt y Ddraig. Do you know it? Lovely stuff - in all its varieties.

Interesting concept, Welsh cider. Having said that, my very favourite is made up on the road to Pontypridd from Llantrisant called Gwynt y Ddraig. Do you know it? Lovely stuff - in all its varieties.
I know Gwynt y Ddraig, great cider, i am quite sure that the flavour is modified with something sweet and unfermentable! Wales has some great cider country, particularly along the border of England, i'm thinking Monmouthshire.

Hello,

I'm going to The Vale Of Glamorgan for a stag do in a fortnight.

Regarding water, I've been treating it for about 3 months now. As @Norfolk79 has said, I'm not sure how big a difference it makes - but it is noticeable. A good brewer could make great beer with less than perfect water; a ***** brewer would still make fire water with angel tears...
Well my beer tastes pretty good, i put that down to good sterilisation rather than good technique. I'm still at the fumbling around and unsure stage with all grain, i've only had one go wrong.

Latest posts

Back