Hello from Turkey

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imbat

Reaction score
Hi,
Just joined the site as I am trying to get started again with brewing wine as it is so expensiveover here :( my problem
is that there are no brew shops over here so getting hold of equipment & ingredients is a problem. It looks like I am going to have to utilise the most basic options such as plastic 5l water bottles, bread yeast etc. Which I know is sacrilege to some people , me included but I have no other options as I cannot get champagne yeast, camden tablets etc. here. I am going to have to use bicarbonate of soda to try & clean what equipment I have so it is really going to be an interesting experiment. Any ideas would be most appreciated as I am really flying by the seat of my pants on this one.
Thanks for listening & happy brewing. :drink:

Can't you get yeast sent by airmail? It weigh a few grams. Campden tablets too.

You can presumably get bleach that can be watered down for sterilising?

Post never arrives here :( I have tried to have things delivered from amazon three times now but to no avail :(

They just send it back as they can't be bothered to deliver it to the village. In the eight years I have been here we have received no mail :(

They just send it back as they can't be bothered to deliver it to the village. In the eight years I have been here we have received no mail :(

Thats a bit much. Maybe if you go abroad you can bring some yeast back. Once started you can keep re-using the same stuff anyway. I do all the time. How can a country have a postal system where the postmen just send the stuff back? Bizarre!

Cheers

Tony

I guess that has it's advantages and disadvantages! Could you get it delivered to someone else and pick it up? I think you're going to say no!

Anyway, you've got ale yeast and bleach, yes?

Bleach I have & basic dry active yeast but that's about it so far. I am hoping to get back to the uk later in the year when I will stock up but until then I just want to have a few goes at a few basic recipies to see if I can make a drinkable product.

Well good luck. I don't make wine, hopefully someone else can sort you out. I was just being nosey. :???: :-)

There is a video on Craigtube where he makes "inmate brew". If you can take a look at it, it might be a somewhat basic start point.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWGxmdtybs0[/ame]

According to some articles you can but it has to be 100% juice with no additives or preservatives. I guess I will find out :)

Your juice may differ from ours, you cannot make red wine from the 100% juice drinks we sell in the UK it turns out like a rose wine.

Latest posts

Back