Hello from Turkey

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting. I guess I will wait & get some fruit frome the market on saturday. Plums or maybe sour cherries & just give it a whirl :) thanks for the advice everyone:cheers:

If you mean from shop bought juice you are right.

My understanding is that the tannins and colour that make a red wine what it is are extracted from the skins of the red grapes by fermenting the whole crushed grapes.

As Chippy says, if you crush the red grapes and extract the juice, that's all you get. It makes Rose wine, because, well, that's what Rose wine is.

Similarly, if you want a taste of orange, you need the zest of the skin and not just the juice.

As Chippy says, if you crush the red grapes and extract the juice, that's all you get. It makes Rose wine, because, well, that's what Rosé wine is.
A great Rosé it makes. :thumb:

Wow, it's all getting very complicated & I haven't made my first batch yet ;) great information though guys:clap:

Wow, it's all getting very complicated & I haven't made my first batch yet ;) great information though guys:clap:

Give this a try with whatever you can get your hands on -

Easy Rosé wine.

1 litre Red grape juice

1 litre Apple Juice

800g Sugar.

1 tsp Tannin or a mug of very strong black tea. (3 bags stirred every couple of minutes as you put the rest of the ingredients together)

1 tsp Yeast (i use youngs super wine yeast compound)

1 tsp Yeast Nutrient.

1 tsp Pectolase.

1 tsp Glycerine.

1 tsp citric acid or juice of one lemon. (optional)

The how to bit is here - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49462

Do you have any kind of juice you can ferment? I know it's not red wine, but hey fermented fruit juice is still something. I'm in the U.S. and I've fermented apple juice a few times.

Wow, that blueberry looks great :) I am just sorting my self out with buckets & syphon tubes etc. & then I will be looking to get started. The problem here is that the popular fruits for wine making such as blueberries, elderberries etc. You either can't get or are expensive. Plums are just about coming into season though so I am hoping to have a go at plum wine. I just need a very basic recipe to follow as I have none of the technical ingredients (pectalaise, yeast nutrient etc.). Thanks for the help & enjoy the blueberry wine :party:

Plums make good wine. You need about 2 Kilos per 5 Litres. Chop up the fruit, pour on 4 litres of boiling water. Let it soak for about 5 days then strain off the liquid and mix in about 1 kilo of sugar, a cup of strong black tea (for tannins), if the plums were not at all sour you'll need to add a little lemon juice. Then add a teaspoonful of dried yeast. Breadmaking yeast works okay but the resulting wine may be a bit more `headachey' than if you use wine yeast. Ferment this in a demijohn or something similar and then top up to the full 5 litres after the initial wild fermentation has died down and finish off fermenting.
This basic recipe works for any fruit with a good strong flavour.

Latest posts

Back