Hello my good friends.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micsims10000

Reaction score
Hello my friends Mick here, an ex pat living in zee Netherlands.

Long time brewer of various styles. Hoping to meet like minded people and share some brewing ideas and pictures of my biers

Welcome Mick. Where are you ex-patriated from? What are your favourite styles? Good to have you aboard.

I lived a nomadic lifestyle whilst in the UK, even has a child. We didn't really didn't settle anywhere, the same when I became an adult.

I do now spend a lot of time in the UK, both for business and pleasure with bases in Manchester and London. This is what really influence my beer tastes. I used to be happy with any old beer, preferring to make lager styles but times have changed and spending time in Manchester and London really brought me closer to breweries like Kernel and Cloudwater. And so my brewing style changed.

Nobody really does fish and chips like the English, it's all about the potatoe
And yet, I understand, fish and chips was invented in your neck of the woods. Here's a excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy or "Wikipedia", as it's known today:

The tradition in the UK of fish battered and fried in oil came from Western Sephardic Jewish immigrants from Holland.[4][2][5][6] Originating in Spain and Portugal and settling in England as early as the 16th century, they would have prepared fried fish in a manner similar to pescado frito, which is coated in flour then fried in oil.[6] Fish fried for Shabbat for dinner on Friday evenings could be eaten cold the following afternoon for shalosh seudot, palatable this way as liquid vegetable oil was used rather than a hard fat, such as butter.[6][7] Charles Dickens mentions "fried fish warehouses" in Oliver Twist (1838),[2] and in 1845 Alexis Soyer in his first edition of A Shilling Cookery for the People, gives a recipe for "Fried fish, Jewish fashion", which is dipped in a batter mix of flour and water before frying.[8]

Fish and chips, served in a paper wrapper (greaseproof paper inner and ordinary paper outer), as a "takeaway"

The exact location of the first fish and chip shop is unclear. The earliest known shops were opened in the 1860s, in London by Joseph Malin[9] and in Mossley, near Oldham, Lancashire, by John Lees.[10][11] However, fried fish, as well as chips, had existed independently for at least fifty years prior to this, so the possibility that they had been combined at an earlier time cannot be ruled out.
[12]

""A hard fat such as butter" my pink, fluffy R-se. ... such as lard would be nearer the mark!

And yet, I understand, fish and chips was invented in your neck of the woods. Here's a excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy or "Wikipedia", as it's known today:

The tradition in the UK of fish battered and fried in oil came from Western Sephardic Jewish immigrants from Holland.[4][2][5][6] Originating in Spain and Portugal and settling in England as early as the 16th century, they would have prepared fried fish in a manner similar to pescado frito, which is coated in flour then fried in oil.[6] Fish fried for Shabbat for dinner on Friday evenings could be eaten cold the following afternoon for shalosh seudot, palatable this way as liquid vegetable oil was used rather than a hard fat, such as butter.[6][7] Charles Dickens mentions "fried fish warehouses" in Oliver Twist (1838),[2] and in 1845 Alexis Soyer in his first edition of A Shilling Cookery for the People, gives a recipe for "Fried fish, Jewish fashion", which is dipped in a batter mix of flour and water before frying.[8]

Fish and chips, served in a paper wrapper (greaseproof paper inner and ordinary paper outer), as a "takeaway"

The exact location of the first fish and chip shop is unclear. The earliest known shops were opened in the 1860s, in London by Joseph Malin[9] and in Mossley, near Oldham, Lancashire, by John Lees.[10][11] However, fried fish, as well as chips, had existed independently for at least fifty years prior to this, so the possibility that they had been combined at an earlier time cannot be ruled out.
[12]

""A hard fat such as butter" my pink, fluffy R-se. ... such as lard would be nearer the mark!
Good information

Back