Hello - new member here

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scoot Hogan

Reaction score
Hello - Callum from Perthshire here.

Having consumed from ales from a neighbour, I'm about to buy a homebrew setup. Any advice? I was thinking of a Robobrew mash/boiler and then I'm stuck on the fermenter. Do I need to provide a heated fermenter here in Perthshire?

Welcome to the forum @Scoot Hogan
For fermentation you want to be able to maintain a steady temperature, somewhere around 20C usually. Have a search for "fermentation fridge". It's not difficult to adapt an old fridge, with a heater and a temperature controller, so that it will heat or cool as required to maintain a steady temperature.

Hi Scoot and welcome
I have no personal experience of Robobrew, but they are popular and a good alternative to the more expensive Grainfather I believe, I brew using Brew in bag method but somebody will no doubt have an experienced opinion.
So far as fermentation is concerned, you can get away quite well just at room temperature to begin with, but one of the best ways of improving your beer is with controlling fermentation temperature, which as Richard says is probably easiest using a fridge (or freezer) and something to control the temperature with, an Inkbird 308 controller will do this, but you will also need a heater to go inside the fridge, most popular being a 12 inch 40w tubular (greenhouse) heater.
The Inkbird will control both the fridge compressor and the heater to keep your fermentation at the set temperature.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back