Hello, thanks etc

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finally posting something after a year or two of lurking - mainly to thank folks on this forum for being so generous with their skills and experience.
I am now 45 brews in and (more or less) able to brew the beers that I want. I prefer dark, old fashioned beers and have been trying to brew reliably a malty flavoursome beer, something like a dark mild or a porter, not very hoppy, between 3.4% and 4.2%, that goes well with food and a pipe. So I have been experimenting with chocolate malt, brown malt, munich etc and finally I have come up with a sort of a style in the volumes needed! I use kits plus DME and a mini mash, or LME instead of a kit). I’ve done some AG brews but I’m on a stove top and find larger quantities of grain and liquor awkward.

Apart from beer and pipe smoking, I’m into curing and smoking fish, meats, cheeses etc.

Finally posting something after a year or two of lurking - mainly to thank folks on this forum for being so generous with their skills and experience.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the feedback.

Welcome. I’m still trying to find my feet. Just 3 beers and a white wine done so far. Curing and smoking fish, meats and cheeses sounds like a great hobby.

Welcome. I’m still trying to find my feet. Just 3 beers and a white wine done so far. Curing and smoking fish, meats and cheeses sounds like a great hobby.
Bacon 2.JPG

Some home cured streaky bacon about to go into a sandwich. Bacon is pretty easy to do and better than anything you get in the supermarket.

Chopps, Fireside ales - Thanks for the feedback. Well I'm no expert but I'll try and point folks in the right direction. There is a foodies section elsewhere on this forum & there are a few posts on curing and smoking. I'll put something up there when I get a moment. IMHO the River Cottage handbook on curing and smoking is indispensible, it has quite a homebrew-type attitude, ie have a go! I think its no 13 in the series.

Back