Hello there!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scoo

Reaction score
Ive been thinking about home brewing for a few years now and finally convinced my wife of its merits so going to take the plunge!
I have been watching a few YouTube vids and reading this forum and found it is a great resource for info and tips so thought i should sign up and say hello,

I live near Huddersfield and love most types of beer, but mainly Porters and wheat beers

I think i have decided to go woth the Geterbrewed BITB starter kit, which comes with thier Hoppy APA and was just wondering if there is anything else I may need for the first go?
I have steriliser solution noted and im planning to bottle it using 50cl paulaner bottles ive been saving so some sort of carbonation suger also maybe?

Any beginners tips are appreciated

Cheers

Welcome to you, Scoo.

i started with a very similar BIAB kit. A few points I'd raise:
BE careful with that boiler. The base gets VERY hot - I cracked a stone worktop with it. I'd suggest getting a piece of scrap wood or some sort of insulation to put it on if you're brewing on the kitchen worktop.

Get another fermenting bucket - one without a tap. Ferment in that then get a Syphon and transfer your finished beer to the bucket with a tap ready for bottling. I find that the bucket you actually ferment in ends up with a fair amount of yeast and trub which finds its way into the tap and needs a lot of cleaning. And I never use the tap for samples (get a turkey baster) or transfering anyway.

Regarding carbing, just use everyday granulated sugar. Add it to a little boiling water and then gently stir it into the beer that you transferred to the bottling bucket. You'll need to use a carb calculator to get the exact amount - it'll be much higher for your wheat beer than your porter.

Other than that, just jump in, have a go and then start adding to your shopping list. O dare say your first couple of brews won't be classics but you'll soon improve and be knocking out some great beers.

Latest posts

Back