Hello to all from Chester

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppopotamus

Reaction score
Like many new members I suspect my return to home brewing (after a break of 35+ years) was in part due to the extra time on my hands over the last year - combined with the enthusiastic encouragement of existing member - and my eldest son - Alefric.

Starting with a small, but excellent (if slightly explosive on opening) Brooklyn BrewShop Oatmeal Stout Kit - the range and quality of ingredients available online and via my local homebrew shop - have allowed me to 'experiment a bit' (I even tried Blueberry Red Belgian Ale - without the Blueberrys! though that was not entirely intentional!) and produce beers of infinitely better taste than we 'brewed-up' from cheap 40-pint kits as students in mid-80s Manchester - though admittedly that is setting the bar pretty low!.

For me though - a large part of the pleasure is to close my eyes and inhale deeply whilst a brew is in progress and transport myself back to my formative years in Burton-on-Trent (best described then as 'a Brewery with a small Town in it' and not the other way around) - a nostalgia trip in a Mash Tun - with a pint at the end - win-win. For me its part of the pleasure of brewing (though for my wife it just reminds of having her tonsils out).

Damn ob electrical burning smell, what gives me flash backs, is when a bricklayer drops a brick on the scaffolding!!

Like many new members I suspect my return to home brewing (after a break of 35+ years) was in part due to the extra time on my hands over the last year - combined with the enthusiastic encouragement of existing member - and my eldest son - Alefric.

Starting with a small, but excellent (if slightly explosive on opening) Brooklyn BrewShop Oatmeal Stout Kit - the range and quality of ingredients available online and via my local homebrew shop - have allowed me to 'experiment a bit' (I even tried Blueberry Red Belgian Ale - without the Blueberrys! though that was not entirely intentional!) and produce beers of infinitely better taste than we 'brewed-up' from cheap 40-pint kits as students in mid-80s Manchester - though admittedly that is setting the bar pretty low!.

For me though - a large part of the pleasure is to close my eyes and inhale deeply whilst a brew is in progress and transport myself back to my formative years in Burton-on-Trent (best described then as 'a Brewery with a small Town in it' and not the other way around) - a nostalgia trip in a Mash Tun - with a pint at the end - win-win. For me its part of the pleasure of brewing (though for my wife it just reminds of having her tonsils out).
Welcome Hoppo nice to see another Cheshireperson joining. Are you allowed to cross the Dee bridge or are you Holt'ed. 😂

Latest posts

Back